Tasker

Noodle360

Reaction score
Anyone have Tasker up and running on there 4? I have the trial but cant get things to work right. Im new to tasker so I may be something Im doing, but I cant figure out how to turn the screen on when head phones are plugged in (Winamp starts up just fine), and the GPS simply wont turn on when docked in my car dock (my car dock app starts up just fine). Iv checked and re checked how I have tasker set up for both items, for the turning the screen on it said 'This device isnt supported' and for the GPS it says its set to turn it on... *shrug*

I used smart actions from day one (Iv had this phone a whoppin 3 days) and it worked, but theres limits it has like not being able to kill an app (When I unplug my headphones I want winamp to close, simple enough), and such so I checked out tasker. Any help?

OP
N

Noodle360

Reaction score
Ok, I can get the screen to come on if I have a pop up notification set. So for the time being I just typed something like "Have a good workout" that pops up when I plug my headphones in. no the best solution but it'll work for now... Now I still need to figure out how to disable the slide to unlock thing... hmm

OP
N

Noodle360

Reaction score
Just an FYI after doing some research tasker cannot just turn the screen on on these phones (no idea why) so a work around I did was set tasker up when head phones were plugged in it would start Winamp, turn keygaurd off, and have a motivational pop up come up (Tells me to have a good workout, and pump some iron *****! :) ), the pop up turns on the screen, the keygaurd turns off the Slide to unlock, and theres winamp ready to play.

Just an FYI if anyone else is using tasker and has issues... Really loving tasker vs Smart actions... it can do so much more.

mccompunerd

Reaction score
Tasker is awesome. Had heard of it but never really tried it on my D1. Now I don't think I could live without it for my D4.

mccompunerd

Reaction score
Use it to adjust volume/wifi/lock screen for when I'm at work or home., and at night depending on if I'm working the next day. Also turn everything off to save battery when idle for extended times.
Fires up my music player and adjusts volume when I plug speakers in.
Will set up more when i get a car dock.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Ballard_st

Reaction score
I just bought Tasker, but I am hitting a brick wall. For background, I am new to android but I took some basic programming a few years ago in college, so I'm not computer illiterate.

Every walk through and user guide shows a different user interface than the one I have. I have a white screen: Profiles, Tasks, and Scenes. I can add a location profile, but I get stuck when I try to add a task and cannot figure out why I cannot find any beginner guides for such a popular program that explains what to do with this setup. Any advice?

tfly212

Reaction score
I tried in vain to get tasker to work...watched the videos, played with it, etc with no luck. I ended up using automateit instead. Its super easy and free...might be worth a shot. Tasker is definitely more flexible, but to set up some basic rules automateit works great.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

harrellj

Reaction score
Can I ask what you're attempting to do? I've got Tasker myself and can maybe help you get to where you want to be.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ballard_st

Reaction score
sure. Atm, I am just trying to turn on wifi when I get home. I saw an example of that on the Tasker website, but it did not look like anything relating to what I see on my screen. I set a profile to my home's gps location. For the Task, I chose the setting "wifi" and am given a screen with an "if" statement, and that's as far as I've gotten. I don't know if I'm sick or if I made a wrong turn somewhere, but what I'm mossy confused about is why all of the user guides show a more simple gui.

I have some other plans for when I figure out how to work it, like turning on Skype when wifi is on

reybie

Reaction score
First, see if you have Beginner Mode enabled. It's under Preferences.

In my short experience with it, here's what I can tell you so far.

In the Tasks tab, create the task that will turn ON WiFi. In Profiles tab, click the + sign to create a new one. I would select Location as the trigger of this Profile, then I'd click the GPS marker on the top right to mark your location, click again to set (there may be a better way of doing this but this should get it started). Hit the left arrow next to Location Edit, and this will give you the chance to name your Profile. After naming the Profile, it will prompt you to link the Task you want performed.

I hope that didn't muddy what you already know LOL.