Target mobile upgrade

JCDenton771

Reaction score
Hey guys need some help on this one. I recently purchased a Droid RAZR for my line through Target Mobile online using my mother's line upgrade. Is there anyway I can transfer the upgrade to my line so that the phone will activate on my line? Also her current phone has been unable to connect to 3g or any network since this afternoon even though I have not turned on the RAZR at all. I planned on just going to the Verizon store tomorrow to switch them and activate everything but in an email I received from Target they warned me not to visit a Verizon store to activate for some reason. I am very confused on all of this so any advice you guys have would be much appreciated! I just want to play with my RAZR!!

megraven21

Reaction score
I had a similar experience. I bought a Bionic for my mom and she decided she wanted my Droid X right when we got the phone. I called verizon and did the switch over the phone. Verizon said they don't care who has the phone, just that the new contract was made. One difference is that i bought the bionic thru verizon over the phone, not thru target. I didn't even know target sells phones.

Tell her to turn her phone off and take out the battery for about 30 seconds. That usually works for me. I haven't had 3g or 4g since around 6pm EST so it might be a verizon issue altogether. I know they had a huge network problem last week. I always call them when i need something because it's faster and more convenient. Thought I didn't report it today because I didn't have time and I was able to work off of wifi. Also, see if she has something like Juice Defender set up on her phone. That can turn off data to save battery and can be set up to keep it off if her battery is low or if she is hooked up to wifi. If she has a Bionic...that's a whole other story!

As far as setting up the RAZR, I'm almost positive you will HAVE to call Verizon. (Or go in the store) These phones use SIM cards and Verizon needs the info off the card and the MEID # off the phone itself to set the phone up for your line properly. I bought my Droid X off Amazon and I still called verizon to give them the info they needed to set up the phone. Unless target has their own way of giving verizon the info, I can't see any way around it. I'm curious to know exactly what their "don't contact Verizon" warning is and if they give an alternative in the paperwork you have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
JCDenton771

JCDenton771

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! This is the quote from the email:

Please DO NOT CALL Verizon Wireless OR VISIT a Verizon Wireless store to activate your device. We initiate this process automatically and contacting the carrier can delay your activation and/or cause a loss of service.

Not sure completely what they mean by that but I'm sure that Verizon really will not care as long as I have all of the devices tomorrow in the store. Or worst case do you suppose that I can just activate the phone on my mom's line since she also has unlimited data and then just switch them around? I have a feeling that that will create extra fees somewhere though....hmm or maybe I just need to call the Target number tomorrow and see if they can do it, which they may be able to.

OP
JCDenton771

JCDenton771

Reaction score
Another confusing tid-bit from the paperwork I received:

Please note some of the reasons your wireless carrier may notify us of a deactivation include if:
You transfer this equipment to another line of service after it is activated
That bold part is the most concerning and I'm not quite sure what it means....

OP
JCDenton771

JCDenton771

Reaction score
And to add to more confusion, the last piece of paper I received in the box is a standard Verizon wireless upgrade procedure paper.....Guessing the local Verizon store will be able to help me.

P.S. Funny side note: Target calls their activation people 'Activation Experts'; who would have thought?

megraven21

Reaction score
Ooooh. It sounds like part of the contract you signed with target says you have the keep that device on that particular line for a certain period of time. If that's the case, you will have to keep it on the line you bought the upgrade for or they will fine you. Amazon had one when i bought the Droid X. I had to keep it on my line for 6 months. I barely made it. Lol.

If I were in your situation, I would definitely call target and find out how to get the phone activated and the specifics on transferring it to a different line. If you aren't happy with the terms of the agreement, they may have a 7 or 30 day return policy. That way you can buy from verizon or somewhere else that will allow you to do what you want with the phone, when you want to do it. I personally don't do well with restrictions. I end up getting myself in trouble. Lol

Btw, I'm reading that the 3g/4g issue is a Verizon issue, not your moms phone. From what people are saying, there is no estimated recovery time for the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
JCDenton771

JCDenton771

Reaction score
Well that would be a major pain in the butt because the whole reason I ordered from Target was their cheap price on the RAZR; my mom doesn't need the new phone I do! Kind of annoying if I would have to return the device and then go pay more money at Verizon.....Probably will just head over to Verizon in the morning with everything since there is one 2 minutes from my house. I just want my Droid RAZR :(

OP
JCDenton771

JCDenton771

Reaction score
After doing further research, the results don't look good. I'm probably gonna have to return the device and purchase it through Verizon which I won't be able to do tomorrow since my father will not be there. Target should just put that in plain writing rather than using confusing terms of service....

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I think that Target, Amazon, Wirefly and some others all sell through the same company and they require you to keep the phone on the same line that it was activated on for 6 months or they can charge you a $250 fee. They might not catch the switch, but if they do you will get charged.

Edit: Check the price at Best Buy. They don't have this restriction and they often have a much lower price with a 2 year contract extension than Verizon has. I just upgraded to an Inc2 for free, transferring the upgrade from my wife's line. She upgraded at BB last year using my upgrade. BB did the transfer both times. We both got our phones at BB for over $100 less than at the Verizon corporate store.

Last edited: