T-mobile's revenge: 122 Error Invalid Number.

Aiiyiiyiii

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
Note 3 running kitkat 4.4.2, purchased through T-mobile. I unlocked and inserted a Consumer Cellular sim. Wi-fi calling is no longer supported :( but the main problem is, I receive multiple, repetitive texts from +1121611611 reading:

122 Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code.
[and then a string of numeric characters]

Consumer Cellular says their stuff is working right, even though I'm pissed at them bc they told me wifi calling would still work and it doesn't. Apparently unlocking a phone has some issues.

T-mobile says they are not sending these texts. They suggest I have an unsent text somewhere that keeps generating the same error message, but I can't find one, and was not texting when this started happening.

I receive this text message every time the phone is powered on, and sometimes several more during the day. I've received six of them so far today, and counting.

Appreciate any clue how to stop this!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried clearing the cache in your text app?
If not, Settings, apps, scroll down to your text app, tap it , scroll down a little, tap clear cache. If you don't mind losing all your saved texts and the cache didn't work you can do the same method but tap clear data but it really does sound like a bug on your carriers end not your phone.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

lucas_monster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
lg
I am getting this exact same text. Over 41 times in three days. I'm on an unlocked MetroPCS phone using the AT&T network. I will try clearing my cache as suggested and let y'all know how it goes. I also plan on contacting AT&T about the issue.

Last edited:

lucas_monster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
lg
I just tried deleting all my texts, then went to my texting app settings and cleared the cache. Unfortunately I just received another of the 122 error texts roughly 10 minutes after clearing everything. It must be something else. :/

Jeansj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I had the same problem with my Note 3. I'm using an unlocked T-Mobile phone with the AT&T network. I solved the problem by opening the message, then touching the menu to the left of the home key at the bottom of the screen, then choosing "Add to spam numbers." I haven't received that annoying text message since I did that a couple days ago.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Thanks for the report!

Iwhiteout

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
iwhiteout
I finally fixed it and posted it here. 1121611611 Error 122 Invalid Number - Fix Android Forums

Here is also a copy of the text in case you cant access the link.

For months I have been getting an error that comes from +1121611611 and the message content reads "122 Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code. 0605040710000041637469766174653A64743D3135". I have been reading all over the internet and it seems loads of people are having the same problem but there is no solution.

I noticed the common denominator seemed to be people changing carriers. I found two people stating that switching from T-Mobile to ATT caused the problem as it was TMobile sending an internal text to track your Fav 5 members. This meant if you switched carriers the message was getting rejected. Then it appeared a lot of people were getting it when texting friends, no idea what caused this. Finally someone suggested it was an issue with the phone trying to access the prior carriers voicemail. I went into settings>more>application manager then to the TMobile visual voicemail system. I cleared the cache the clicked "turn off" which ultimately deleted the app. I then went to the dialer and held down the #1 key which called my voicemail (not sure if it was Tm or ATT system) and it said my password was expired and I changed it. After doing all of this the messages have completely stopped. I cannot say for sure I know the cause but it appears to be voicemail related. Im guessing after switching carriers the phone still tries to access the previous carriers system. I am simply posting this to help and I am going to post the link back to the on 10-15 websites where people appeared to really be struggling.

AT&T Dude

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X and Samsung Mega 2
AT&T Employee Here: whiteout has the correct solution (apart for deleting Cache). This is happening because your T-mobile Visual Voicemail App is continuously trying to get in touch back with T-Mobile to see if it has any voicemail messages. This is accomplished via SMS technology, so when it DOES reach T-Mobile, their HLR and VLR respond back with "NOPE NOT OUR CUSTOMER" and sends you that message. T-mobile says it's not them because, well, they probably don't even know the problem exists yet. So I wouldn't BLAME them, it's just the product of intercarrier operation of a device whose OS wasn't designed for anything other than T-mobile.

Here's the fix: Settings > General (if your phone has this top menu option, if not ignore) > Application Manager (or Apps on LG phones) > All > Visual Voicemail (should have a tmobile logo on it) > Clear Data (which removes your vvm profile on the device) > Turn off. This will fix your issue and will not impact your ability to use AT&T's visual voicemail app, available on the Play Store.

Good luck!

blkmwm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
att
I finally fixed it and posted it here. 1121611611 Error 122 Invalid Number - Fix Android Forums

Here is also a copy of the text in case you cant access the link.

For months I have been getting an error that comes from +1121611611 and the message content reads "122 Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code. 0605040710000041637469766174653A64743D3135". I have been reading all over the internet and it seems loads of people are having the same problem but there is no solution.

I noticed the common denominator seemed to be people changing carriers. I found two people stating that switching from T-Mobile to ATT caused the problem as it was TMobile sending an internal text to track your Fav 5 members. This meant if you switched carriers the message was getting rejected. Then it appeared a lot of people were getting it when texting friends, no idea what caused this. Finally someone suggested it was an issue with the phone trying to access the prior carriers voicemail. I went into settings>more>application manager then to the TMobile visual voicemail system. I cleared the cache the clicked "turn off" which ultimately deleted the app. I then went to the dialer and held down the #1 key which called my voicemail (not sure if it was Tm or ATT system) and it said my password was expired and I changed it. After doing all of this the messages have completely stopped. I cannot say for sure I know the cause but it appears to be voicemail related. Im guessing after switching carriers the phone still tries to access the previous carriers system. I am simply posting this to help and I am going to post the link back to the on 10-15 websites where people appeared to really be struggling.

OP
Aiiyiiyiii

Aiiyiiyiii

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
Great information. I took the easy way out, simply reported the number as spam, or blocked it, I forget which.. in any case the issue was resolved. So happy not to have to deal with that anymore.