Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Try to keep in mind that Verizons first 4G phone doesn't even come out until the 17th.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
4G Wireless Speed Tests: Which Is Really the Fastest? - PCWorld

I guess most of us like VZW because of its breadth of 3G coverage, I like to listen to internet radio and access the web when driving in remote areas, and being able to call while driving in remote areas, but wow T-Mobile's 3G speeds are twice as fast... ugh
Yeah, but twice as fast where? Did they speedtest where T-Mobile's 3.5G coverage is lacking or next to a tower?

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
Try to keep in mind that Verizons first 4G phone doesn't even come out until the 17th.

The article clearly states when the tests were done. If VZW didn't have a 4G phone it was VZW's problem not the magazine's.

OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
4G Wireless Speed Tests: Which Is Really the Fastest? - PCWorld

I guess most of us like VZW because of its breadth of 3G coverage, I like to listen to internet radio and access the web when driving in remote areas, and being able to call while driving in remote areas, but wow 3G speeds are twice as fast... ugh
Yeah, but twice as fast where? Did they speedtest where T-Mobile's 3.5G coverage is lacking or next to a tower?

I don't understand why you allege a conspiracy. In the same article VZW's modems' were clearly the winners. I doubt they would be having an agenda against VZW or that they were somehow sponsored. I don't understand why people get so defensive about such a result of phone speeds.

Like you can see I've had VZW since 11/09 and while I have not been particularly happy with their speeds, I will likely join their LTE phones as long as their tiered plans don't get too crazy.

Last edited:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Too late for that...i think 80 dollars for 10 GB at LTE speed is a joke of a plan. Count me out, I'll stick with their long in the tooth 3G

dak446

Reaction score
Seriously? That is outrageous. What a joke. Like 30 bucks isn't enough already?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
4G phone plans have not been released.

$80/10GB is for the mobile broadband services. I really wish people would quit saying that those are the phone plans.

Additonally, if you read what the Panda posts, they actually pulled people off of 4G development to improve 3G for the iPhone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
$80/10GB is for the mobile broadband services. I really wish people would quit saying that those are the phone plans.

For the most part, I've stopped correcting people. Those mobile broadband plans are the SAME PRICE as they were for 3G.

AT&T just said the other day they are going to cap home broadband at 180gigs. Just block torrents (it's illegal anyway) and I don't see how anyone can reasonably hit over 100 gigs.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, VZW 3G speeds are really slow and really sucky. It's REALLY bad when the phone lags not because it's the OG Droid but because it's getting 300kbps d/l. It's just criminal for $30.

Detonation

Reaction score
Not surprised by this. I'm lucky to even get the 1Mbps they got in this test. However, with 4g being the same price, I have no reason not to use my upgrade come March 17th (and hopefully LTE comes to Milwaukee by the end of the summer)

kptphalkon

Reaction score
So here we are, 2 days from the TB finally arriving, and they still have not stated their 4G plans? There are some things I'd like to know IN ADVANCE, and not have dropped on me the day a new phone comes out, like it were some big ****ing surprise that'll make me crap my pants.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If VZW didn't have a 4G phone it was VZW's problem not the magazine's.
It is the magazine's problem if the article is claiming to test 4G smartphone speeds.

Just block torrents (it's illegal anyway)
No they're not. Torrenting copyrighted material is illegal. There's an important distinction there. Feel free to cite any laws that state that torrents are illegal though...

Last edited:
OP
Y

yiannis

Reaction score
To those asking whether very high data download volume is doable without torrent or heavy video/movie watching I have this:

A 27 minute oovoo videochat yesterday with my family abroad was 0.178 GBs.

At least VZW was fast enough to provide it, something is telling me that I really need to avoid the tiered plans.