T-Mobile is Complaining that Lopsided FCC Spectrum Auctions Will Hinder Their Growth

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Verizon and AT&T are board members of the 4th branch of government along with TW and Comcast. It is what it is.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
BASICALLY!

There's multiple reports of how Verizon and ATT are whispering in even Obama's ear about projects and proposals. Shoot, a former head of Comcast is at the head of the FCC!!!

I love the idea of TMO, and my wife loved the idea so much that she basically switched from ATT to TMO for almost the same cost overall (the plan is lower, but, the price of the phone is higher, so it's a moot point) but I shall not switch until TMO gets better service. TMO will not get better service until they get the spectrum. They won't get the spectrum if VZ/ATT is buying it up with ease at these auctions. TMO shareholders probably would crap bricks if they aggresively went after the spectrum, as they wanna get their returns on investment.....and as everyone knows, you can be a shareholder and not even like the product...so....

It's just a big ol circle of woe in magenta!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A long long time ago in a board room far far away Verizon made the decision to buy up existing smaller companies to expand their network so users would have reception in more areas, thus building costumer satisfaction, thus more revenue in the future.
In another part of the nation their arch nemesis decided to do basically the same thing while a smaller company decided to put their emphasis on SideKicks and unlocked devices. Years later digital television broadcast opened up a plethora of new areas for the 2 evil empires to spend some serious cash to get as much of those new frequencies as possible, keeping the same business model of customers being able to actually use their devices because there were cells every few miles that were up to snuff and running but the blue and red empires got greedier knowing they had their minions in a stranglehold of usability. The little pink company had an idea to plant doubt about the invincibility of the 2 giants and chip by chip they began to show their weakness of arrogance and suddenly had to sure up their defenses by tricking the buying public into believing they were more like the little pink company, only , truthfully,with the ability to use their service in a much broader physical environment. The little pink company cried foul because in its past it didn't use capital to increase capital to use capital to increase reception areas.
Bottom line, the 2 giants used billions of dollars to create a nationwide rock solid network and though we complain about this and that that cost a few bucks here and there, the little company missed the build out of infrastructure and now is feeling it's unfair that the billions the 2 giants spent are providing returns of the dividends of building that network out. The grass hopper is whining that the ant won't starve this winter.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Hate VZW all you want, they invest.

Yeah, of course they invest...in wireless. Go count how many DSL and FIOS customers they are screwing over to make that investment happen. They completely ignore their landline networks to "invest" in their wireless networks. They ignore their federally regulated requirements on their landline networks to force people to expensive wireless plans and wireless service that is significantly less reliable than copper lines, especially in rural areas.

Vodafone had a hand in it as well, without them, Verizon Wireless wouldn't exist.

There's no spin or gray area...he's asking for a govt handout. Access to capital markets is available, but they're looking at his ROI. He can't compete because his model doesn't price that. Absolute fact and the bottom line.

Well, both AT&T and Verizon have significant advantages over everyone else in the game. They are both ILECs in the US. Between anti-competitive purchases of spectrum and wireless carrier and government handouts they both receive and abuse (now and in the past, USF helps them screw a lot of people over) it is no wonder they have been allowed to grow so large.

You can stick to your thoughts on T-Mo and Legere begging for government handouts, but the reality is that your analysis is very short-sighted. If you want Verizon to become the AT&T of the early 1900's that's cool, but I sure don't. Verizon and AT&T are beacons for a duopoly that will eventually become a monopoly, in time. The government has had a huge hand in helping the two largest carriers in the US become as large as they are.

I am of the belief that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours. I also respectfully disagree. T-Mo is competing in a market that has been made hard to compete in buy letting the larger wireless carriers get the most spectrum because they can lay down the cash. That is all good and well, but at some point this is going to be a failure to consumers. Choice drives competitive markets, duopolies.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, of course they invest...in wireless. Go count how many DSL and FIOS customers they are screwing over to make that investment happen. They completely ignore their landline networks to "invest" in their wireless networks. They ignore their federally regulated requirements on their landline networks to force people to expensive wireless plans and wireless service that is significantly less reliable than copper lines, especially in rural areas.

Vodafone had a hand in it as well, without them, Verizon Wireless wouldn't exist.

Well, both AT&T and Verizon have significant advantages over everyone else in the game. They are both ILECs in the US. Between anti-competitive purchases of spectrum and wireless carrier and government handouts they both receive and abuse (now and in the past, USF helps them screw a lot of people over) it is no wonder they have been allowed to grow so large.

You can stick to your thoughts on T-Mo and Legere begging for government handouts, but the reality is that your analysis is very short-sighted. If you want Verizon to become the AT&T of the early 1900's that's cool, but I sure don't. Verizon and AT&T are beacons for a duopoly that will eventually become a monopoly, in time. The government has had a huge hand in helping the two largest carriers in the US become as large as they are.

I am of the belief that everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours. I also respectfully disagree. T-Mo is competing in a market that has been made hard to compete in buy letting the larger wireless carriers get the most spectrum because they can lay down the cash. That is all good and well, but at some point this is going to be a failure to consumers. Choice drives competitive markets, duopolies.
Verizon even admitted during the last worker strike they'd rather lose landline service to Comcast than pay the much higher cost of upkeep to its infrastructure vs the much lower cost of maintaining the wireless infrastructure. They would rather lay a few miles of fiber to and from cells than replace the bazzillions of miles of copper underneath the United States to upgrade its landline base. Add in neighborhood associations throughout the nation that won't allow digging, municipalities almost everywhere that will allow digging and/or replacing existing copper only IF Verizon, or whoever, are willing to basically rebuild the municipalities other infrastructures while they're at it, killing off any potential returns on investment. How many towns and big cities have "exclusive rights" for this or that company to provide a service, back room deals made midway to the end of last century when the 4th branch of government was in its infancy. It's a repeat of the mining and railroad towns of the late 19th century on a larger scale. You want telephone service? You're only allowed Verizon. Cavalier (or other) wasn't in bed with the local officials when the main road was being built and helped pay for the sidewalks in order to gain an exclusive right to provide services. It was that little company that Vodaphone purchased around the turn of the century and they took advantage of the life long exclusivity clause.You want cable? You tell your fellow citizens the deal when they complain and suggest they also contact their council and tell them not to vote yes next time the lifetime clause comes up for review. They make some comment about it being a waste of time and question your sanity for making the effort.
Comcast owns the town council from way back when they were one of hundreds of smaller companies that paid a couple grand to help get the mayor re-elected.
I'm not a fan by any means of what the mega corporations are doing but in all honesty in many ways they are only doing the last plausible way to make money.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4