syncing with Gmail not working well

luvtype

Reaction score
Lately syncing with Gmail has not been going well. I used to get email from my Gmail account automatically. This past week I've had to hit the Refresh button to do so. Has Gmail been sputtering or is something wrong with my Droid?

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lately syncing with Gmail has not been going well. I used to get email from my Gmail account automatically. This past week I've had to hit the Refresh button to do so. Has Gmail been sputtering or is something wrong with my Droid?

Thanks!

I always ask people to review your settings in gmail. Most people don't have any idea how the mail syncs. Here's a link for you to take a look at. Just double check everything and make sure it's set up correctly.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...66-droid-hints-pop3-gmail-forwarding-you.html

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
Thanks, but this does not answer my question. I'm using IMAP in any case. All my settings are fine. I've been using the same settings since I bought the Droid--that's 5 months ago. It's only in the past week or so, maybe 10 days, that my email messages haven't bee arriving automatically and I've had to click on Refresh to download them. Hence my question again: has Gmail not been on the ball lately?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think gmail has been ok. Google has a page where you can check the statuses of their services.

Have you tried clearing gmail storage data via manage applications?

Don't use a task killer.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
Thanks, Gmail has improved today, I'm getting email again as before. But I'm not sure I understood your instructions. What does it mean to " clear gmail storage via manage applications?" Does this destroy the messages or will I still have access to them? I don't want to disable access to my messages. Please explain. Thank you.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
phone settings > Applications > Manage applications > menu > filter > all > Gmail storage > clear data

This will delete all gmail from your phone but it resyncs with google's servers so you won't lose anything...unless you have something stuck in your phone's outbox that hasn't had a chance to sync with google.

OP
L

luvtype

Reaction score
Got it! I had no idea this measure was available on the Droid. Very useful. Thanks a lot!

solorca

Reaction score
I have these problems too occasionally. For the record, how often should you delete data? I noticed that doing this also fixed the Facebook sync problems I was having.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
In a perfect world you shouldn't ever need to do it. But given that our world isn't perfect I'd say anytime you come across any quirkyness in syncing it's your go-to remedy.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
With 2.1 I've never had to do it.

One thing that MIGHT cause this is sending attachments with the gmail app. Under 2.01, some wifi networks seemed to cause it. If you do a google search fo droid manual sync you will see a lot of ideas for causes/fixes for this in gmail/contacts/calendar.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just another thing I've noticed when I had this problem. I tried all of the tricks mentioned above, clearing data/stores in gmail and gmail storage. Worked for a couple of minutes, then no sync again. Also wiped and tried that, no help long term, just a short while. So, I did some looking around on the net and noticed that at times, this can happen to contacts and the calendar as well if something somewhere gets corrupted.

So, I went into my gmail via desktop browser and seriously cleaned up my inbox. I had a bunch of emails that I was able to either delete or sort/archive. Once I did that, everything started running smoothly and syncing properly again. I'm betting that I had an email that was somehow stalling the whole sync process.