Syncing Picasa Web Albums - Is this new?

J

Jef

In the past when I had gone into Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> My Gmail account I swore there were only 3 options in there. Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail, Sync Calendar. Today I noticed there was a 4th option "Sync Picasa Web Albums", which was unchecked.

Now I am not sure if this has been there, or I had installed something to enable this. I am also curious where it is syncing this, and how am I accessing them?

Any ideas? Is this new, or was I just blind?

OP
J

Jef

Ok, it appears it's from the Gallery3d from Nexus. My Picasa web albums now show up in the Gallery.

Pretty cool feature!

OP
J

Jef

Yes, it must be a feature of Gallery3d from the Nexus, which is 2.1.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
If you don't have it you can find it over in droid hacks you can install the new gallery as a apk by itself without the whole upgrade to 2.1. Same with pretty much every new feature in 2.1 except live backgrounds. I switched back because 2.1 froze on me constantly, even the apk version sux.

SGTiger

Reaction score
It synced for me. That is, it brought my pictures from the Picasa website down to the Droid. I just cannot figure out how to get the photos I've taken with the Droid camera to automatically sync back to the Picasa website.

Any ideas?

mpax9

Reaction score
Download ITOOKTHISONMYPHONE app and configure your Picasa album.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Download ITOOKTHISONMYPHONE app and configure your Picasa album.

Well if I leave the built-in sync to Picasa on, uploading photos with a third party app will mean they subsequently will be downloaded back to the Picasa folder on my Droid thus resulting in two copies of the same photo on the Droid.

I really would like away for the built-in sync support for Picasa to automatically synchronize on both ends the camera photos and photos on the Picasa website.

Jer

Reaction score
So, if I understand this correctly, I have a Droid and installed the 2.1 gallery and am considering opening a Picasa account for online image hosting. If I do this it will create a 'Picasa' or 'online' folder in my primary gallery view? Will it also show individual folders I created on Picasa within that folder on the Droid? This sounds like a VERY cool feature and I often find myself going to my onlne storage to link an image to someone to see what I'm explaining. If it does all of this am I able to get link info from each image or can I just email the actual image from the Droid? Does that make sense?

deputc26

Reaction score
So, if I understand this correctly, I have a Droid and installed the 2.1 gallery and am considering opening a Picasa account for online image hosting. If I do this it will create a 'Picasa' or 'online' folder in my primary gallery view? Will it also show individual folders I created on Picasa within that folder on the Droid? This sounds like a VERY cool feature and I often find myself going to my onlne storage to link an image to someone to see what I'm explaining. If it does all of this am I able to get link info from each image or can I just email the actual image from the Droid? Does that make sense?

No it doesn't show a "picasa" folder, it shows all the floders in picasa separately.

Jer

Reaction score

No it doesn't show a "picasa" folder, it shows all the floders in picasa separately.

Even all the subfolders? In other words it doesn't have a parent folder then you click on it to see other folders... it just shows ALL the folders in the gallery, correct? I generally create lots of folders and subfolders on my online storage for ease of organization and finding but that would be a LOT of folders to have displayed on my gallery page if it flattens them all out like that.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wait a tick here...

I have the 2.1 gallery installed on my Droid from the APK found in numerous threads here and I don't have a Picasa option in my sync settings and I don't see any Picasa albums in my Gallery...

Is anyone who's giving this information out using the Gallery in the way that he's asking about, or are you Nexus users who have the full 2.1...or rooted users?

Just clarifying before he does something and doesn't get the result he was looking for and because I want this to work on my phone too! Haha!

Jer

Reaction score
I don't have the fourth option for syncing my Picasa albums in my Gallery. Anyone know why that might be?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have the fourth option for syncing my Picasa albums in my Gallery. Anyone know why that might be?

Not entirely sure but I thought I saw a "picasa" sync setting in the the Account/Sync Settings.

bdbraaten

Reaction score

I didn't see it either at first. Then I was exploring in the gallery and clicked on the share option while viewing one of the pictures. Picasa came up as one of the options to share it. I clicked on that and I think there were a couple steps that followed. After that I went back to the sync settings and it was there.