Synching contacts

MobileDroid

Reaction score
I initially used Google Synch to synch my contacts from my Blackberry to Gmail to the Droid. I have not synched since. I keep my contacts in Address Book on my Mac. How do you synch from Address Book to Gmail and to the Droid?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Reaction score
from your macbook address book? droid syncs with your google account that you setup. for your mac's address book, i don't know if there's an automated solution or not.

crspang

Reaction score
Can you export your contacts from Address Book to a .CSV file? Then import them to gmail. I'm not sure if that would work for ya but maybe its worth a shot.

OP
M

MobileDroid

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! I will try the suggested methods and report back so others can hopefully benefit from this.

fatknuckle

Reaction score
It does work. I currently have my address book (and subsequently mail) app, gmail account and mo'droid all sync'd up. The only caveat is that you will need to manually sync (using isync) on your desktop. You could probably automate it to run at a set interval but I havent gotten that far yet.

I also needed to run the terminal command found in this response

I found a solution to the "Sync Now disabled" problem when enabling Google sync in Address Book. By default, the sync client for Google is an "app client", which means it requires some other address book to run (MobileMe,Yahoo,Exchange or an iPod contact sync) to run.

To enable Google sync client to operate as a full sync client, one has to change the client type from "app" to "server". This will enable the "Sync now" button even when Yahoo sync is not selected, and will make sure Google sync is run every time a sync is run.

To change the Google sync client type, open a terminal window and type (one line)
sudo defaults write /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GoogleContactSync.framework/Resources/ClientDescription Type 'server'

Then type the following one line command to restore the permissions on the plist file:
sudo chmod 644 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GoogleContactSync.framework/Resources/ClientDescription.plist

You can now go in Address Book's preferences and enable Google contacts sync, without needing to enable Yahoo sync or plug an iPod for sync to work.