Sync with Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wshaw

Reaction score
Will the VZ Droid be able to sync with Outlook for calendar and contacts right out of the box? If not, is there some other software available to make it happen? Deal breaker I'm sure for more than just me.

J

JohnDroid

Will the VZ Droid be able to sync with Outlook for calendar and contacts right out of the box? If not, is there some other software available to make it happen? Deal breaker I'm sure for more than just me.

Everything that I've read says it will work out of the box.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah same here. Everything i've read about the support for exchange is that it's a right out of the box feature.

bearlaw1968

Reaction score
what about standalone Outlook? Contacts, Notes & Tasks

I can use the Google calendar synch and pop configuration on a Droid phone to get the calendar and email I want, but it is absolutely a dealbreaker if I don't have a sync of my contacts from a Standalone Outlook as I'm not going to do double entry. I can't ascertain from the above if you guys are certain or not whether the sync out of the box works with a non-Exchange Outlook setup. If anyone can tell me, I'd be most appreciative as I may go another route (i.e., Windows Mobile) with my next phone if that is the case.

I'm also hoping that I don't have to buy extra software to sync my tasks and notes, which the iDon't never got right.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm wondering also, just as a thought, how the phone will look when you connect it to the computer. If there might be a place where it stores contacts that you could possible drop in a contacts list from outlook also. (not saying it won't sync or anything just wondering as a thought was all)

ebean

Reaction score
i've been doing some research into this. i am also a standalone...won't put my personal calendar on my company's exchange. big believer in privacy.
i did install the google calendar sync and it DIDN'T WORK...so i deleted the google calendar and uninstalled the sync software.
if there isn't a solution out of the box, i'm intending to use companionlink. (www.companionlink.com) it is well-regarded and i spoke to them by phone today - to a tech guy - and it's a 2 way sync that can be tweaked as much or as little as you like.

the sad part for me is that google has no solution for 'notes' from outlook. i converted my palm memos (and i had a highly organized system of memos in many categories) and i'm wondering how to make them a part of my new droid. but with a theoretical 10k applications, i'm predicting that someone will have figured it out.

does anyone know if i'll be able to have an app. to get onto my aol email without going to gmail?

bean

moshek258

Reaction score
I also sync from a Palm to standalone Outlook and this looks to me like a huge FAIL on the part of the Android OS :(

The idea is to keep private information PRIVATE; out of the "cloud". Syncing via Google defeats this and is a deal breaker for me. Palm and BB have supported standalone outlook syncing for years!

Well it may be time to look at the storm again...sigh....

Please please fix this soon!

moshek258

Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to contact the company today as I do not see a link to download and/or purchase the product. I will post an update once i talk to them.

dean.collins

Reaction score
I also agree keeping my data out of the cloud is my one reason i may not purchase the droid.

get with it android.... if iPhone can then surely Android iCan??

moshek258

Reaction score
The HTC Hero (also android based) appears to offer a direct Outlook sync client....sigh..... but is not being sold by Verizon.....double sigh...

Leckert123

Reaction score
I spoke with the Wave Global UK office yesterday. The download pages are not working at the moment. They also informed me that the products will be available in December for syncing to Outlook and Lotus Notes. The lady I spoke with told me that they are going to launch a separate website for the MyLink products and she will email me with the info once it is available.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the updated. I'm sure that if nothing else has come out before then, or if it's better then most, people will jump all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.