Sync with Outlook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leckert123

Reaction score
Also, I finally got a reply today from MarkSpace on their Missing Sync for Android. It took 5 days for a response and you cannot reach them by phone....hmmm...

Anyhow, the beta can be downloaded here Mark/Space, Inc. Beta and Preview Software

NOTE - READ KNOWN ISSUES - the Beta has a one-way sync with Outlook. Outlook will write over anything in your phone, which initially seems like a good way to load your phone. However, the 1-way sync seems like a terrible thing if you add a contact directly to your phone and then sync...poof...new contact is gone. That'd suck. I'm not going to bother with their Beta until 2-way sync arrives.

CompanionLink also emailed me back..their only sync options must go thru Google's cloud. Nothing available to sync directly between your Android device and your PC.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah so far the best option looks like Wave Global, and you can download the trial of it, unless that is broken. Would be a great way to test it's capabilities. Thanks again for the update.

ebean

Reaction score
uninterested in a 1 way synch. lethal. hoping for missing sync or that wave company...please let us know if you find out first.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'm just going to let it ride. as soon as two way sync is available. I'll go back to that. Until then it's not a deal breaker for me

mrpush

Reaction score
Droid Half synced ?!?!

I am seriously hoping you guys are wrong on this. If the Driod only does half-sync, like Calendars and contacts, then I have to seriously vent here.

TONS of people use Outlook. They use the main features, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes.

If this phone does not wireless sync, from standalone OUTLOOK with Wireless sync installed from a PC, then these phone developers (Android), and Verizon, are complete morons.

I don't like saying that about anyone, but my 7 year old could conclude that if 4 things are available now for syncing, then you can't take away 2 on the new one!!!! You are going backwards, not forwards!

If I (and thousands of other users) are used to getting ALL primary Outlook data, why would you have new smart phones that only do half of this?

The people here on this fourm could do better than these folks in designing software!

I think the problem is that it takes a geek to do software development. Most geeks do not have much common sense when it comes to the big picture.

If Outlook tasks and notes are missing from this phone, that has had more publicity than any other I have seen from verizon, then there is no common sense here, end of story.

Can someone please monitor the geeks designing these phones and software and make sure they are on track!

I KNOW I'm not the only one who looks at all these different technologies, and what they LACK, that does not believe that they could have done better designing them themsleves....this is poor design.

It would be like the new Camero coming out and Power windows and door locks are not an option! Give me a break! Someone needs repremanded!

Vent over!

Thanks!

MP

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am seriously hoping you guys are wrong on this. If the Driod only does half-sync, like Calendars and contacts, then I have to seriously vent here.

TONS of people use Outlook. They use the main features, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes.

If this phone does not wireless sync, from standalone OUTLOOK with Wireless sync installed from a PC, then these phone developers (Android), and Verizon, are complete morons.

I don't like saying that about anyone, but my 7 year old could conclude that if 4 things are available now for syncing, then you can't take away 2 on the new one!!!! You are going backwards, not forwards!

If I (and thousands of other users) are used to getting ALL primary Outlook data, why would you have new smart phones that only do half of this?

The people here on this fourm could do better than these folks in designing software!

I think the problem is that it takes a geek to do software development. Most geeks do not have much common sense when it comes to the big picture.

If Outlook tasks and notes are missing from this phone, that has had more publicity than any other I have seen from verizon, then there is no common sense here, end of story.

Can someone please monitor the geeks designing these phones and software and make sure they are on track!

I KNOW I'm not the only one who looks at all these different technologies, and what they LACK, that does not believe that they could have done better designing them themsleves....this is poor design.

It would be like the new Camero coming out and Power windows and door locks are not an option! Give me a break! Someone needs repremanded!

Vent over!

Thanks!

MP

Ok well first :welcome: to the forum MP. Glad to have you here! I agree syncing with outlook is a must for most users. Remeber this is all speculation until the device gets released tomorrow and then everyone goes to work on it.

mrpush

Reaction score
Ok...I'll chill

Ok, maybe I'm being to harsh....I'm just really mad. I have been waiting for like 3 years, for a REALLY GOOD smart phone, that does what it should, and it ALWAYS seems like the designers "leave things out"!!!

They must do it on purpose. I have researched about 7 smartphone in the last 3 years, they ALL have something missing.

Can't someone put it all together in a single smartphone? It can't be that hard!

Well, I see you point about it just coming out. But that is just it, should we not already KNOW if it will sync ALL Outlook data BEFORE WE HAVE TO BUY IT?

I was at Verizon store 2 times, they only had a 3 hour briefing on it. They honostly DO NOT KNOW if it will snyc tasks and notes....

Good grief....

See ya tomorrow....after I get my hands on one....

Will the HTC Eris come in under the radar and be better maybe?

MP

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm being to harsh....I'm just really mad. I have been waiting for like 3 years, for a REALLY GOOD smart phone, that does what it should, and it ALWAYS seems like the designers "leave things out"!!!

They must do it on purpose. I have researched about 7 smartphone in the last 3 years, they ALL have something missing.

Can't someone put it all together in a single smartphone? It can't be that hard!

Well, I see you point about it just coming out. But that is just it, should we not already KNOW if it will sync ALL Outlook data BEFORE WE HAVE TO BUY IT?

I was at Verizon store 2 times, they only had a 3 hour briefing on it. They honostly DO NOT KNOW if it will snyc tasks and notes....

Good grief....

See ya tomorrow....after I get my hands on one....

Will the HTC Eris come in under the radar and be better maybe?

MP

What we do know. Is there is atleast 1 maybe 2 apps that will accomplis atleast a partial sync.

We also know that VZW rep's aren't always the best trained! You can use google sync from your desktop I believe this will allow a total sync. That may not be the best way but it could be a solution to your problem if not for the short term anyways!

on the Eris. I urge you to go and look and and touch it. See if it better suits you. It's not on 2.0. It's on 1.5 so there are going to be minor differences.

Let us know what you think. We'll be here all night and all day tomorrow. Being upset and venting is ok. I thought the post was constructive. So thanks for that!

Leckert123

Reaction score
Hang on there, MrPush. Don't get too stressed yet. The reference to 1 way sync had to do with the beta of an aftermarket sync application called Missing Sync for Android.

Here is what I've been able to determine so far, and yes, it's entirely possible that we'll have new info when we pick up our phones at retail tomorrow:

Out of the Box

1. Syncs with Outlook via Microsoft Exchange - you need a corporate Exchange server to support this. It won't sync with Outlook on your PC at home.
  2. Syncs all of your stuff with Google and stores it on their server and is associated with your GMail account...if you feel comfortable with that, cool.
Aftermarket Applications - at least those I've identified so far

1. Motorola Media Link - free - desktop application that syncs music, photos, video between your phone and iTune, Outlook. Also allows you to create ringtones Motorola Media Link - Motorola USA
  2. Missing Sync - $30? - syncs between your phone and Outlook, iTunes, using WiFi and/or USB. The beta that is available at the moment only syncs in one direction, with Outlook overwriting your phone contacts. I would hope that the production release will be 2 way sync. Keep your life in sync with The Missing Sync for Android from Mark/Space
  3. MyLink for Android - $30 - syncs between your phone and Lotus Notes or Outlook using USB, I believe. Syncs email, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes. This is due to be released in December. Wave Global Services UK Limited
  4. CompanionLink - $40 - syncs between your phone and Outlook, but goes thru Google to do it. Your contacts and all need to be on Google's servers. Sync Microsoft Outlook with your Google account and your phone | CompanionLink
FWIW, I have Lotus Notes at work, Outlook at home. I am leaning toward using a combination of Motorola's free Media Link for the multimedia, plus MyLink for Android. Is it hokey? Sure, but no more so than my iPhone that uses Picasa to sync photos, Outlook for contacts/calendar/notes, and iTunes for music.

pilot25

Reaction score
I was worried about syncing with outlook too. However, I set up google calendars for the first time in addition to gmail and am ready to cut the chord from Microlost.

It's going to be a change and a rough one after 7 years but it's time for a change.

Leckert123

Reaction score
Well, I may not be a Microsoft fan either, but at least they don't have my personal data. Definitely not going to be sharing my contacts and calendar with Google, whose pursuit of all possible data in order to re-sell it is ultimately far more frightening.

You might be amazed at how much info about you they have already amassed. Check out Google Dashboard. I never told them, but they know my exact age and gender. Freaky Big Brother stuff.

ebean

Reaction score
i posted this as a separate post but this is an email i got about missing sync tonite:

<<
Hello,

You're receiving this email because you asked to be notified about The Missing Sync for Android - and we have an update.

We now have Windows PC and Mac Beta versions of The Missing Sync for Android available to download and try from our testing web page: Mark/Space, Inc. Beta and Preview Software.

They have all of the media features, and 1-way contacts sync. Over time we'll release additional previews, starting with 2-way contacts sync, and then the other features we have listed such as notes and tasks sync during November.

Kind regards,

Jackie Macapanpan
Mark/Space, Inc.>>

mrpush

Reaction score
Leckert,

You guys are completely missing the point with snyc here. On my 4 year old XV6700, I sync ALL OUTLOOK BUSINESS DATA (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes) with my phone WIRELESSLY!!!!

I don't have to dock it, plug it, cord it, tether it.

I DO NOT HAVE EXHANGE SERVER, only OUTLOOK 2003 on my desktop.

If I add or edit any of the 4 main bussiness data items above, in around 10-15 seconds, the changes are PUSHED to my phone or my Desktop Outlook.

Why in the world would I want to plug my device into my pc to sync? That is stuff of the olden days!

They have gone BACKWARDS here. I can now DO LESS with my new DROID smartphone!!!

That is not SMART at all!

My point re-iterated, these people don't have a clue.

I waited 4 years for a good round about smart phone, and what I got is a great browser, widgets, music player, smart phone that CAN'T GIVE ME ALL MY BUSINESS DATA WITHOUT PLUGGING THE DARN THING INTO MY PC????

Def MORON: a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.

Should I have to pay additional fees or have to wait till some 3rd party app or service is developed to get all my business data to push sync wirelessly on a new smartphone?

I rest my case.

MP

Leckert123

Reaction score
Wow...nice tirade. There is no need to be hostile towards me or anyone else here. Referring to people as morons, even as passively aggressive as you did above, is not a nice way to make friends on any forum.

I've got news for you MrPush..the iPhone doesn't sync wirelessly either unless you buy a 3rd party application or are running Exchange. If you want a Droid to sync wirelessly to your PC, then you will likely have to use a 3rd party application CompanionLink to do it via Google.

mrpush

Reaction score
Guys,

forgot to tell you, while at store, they said I might be able to get sync with TOUCHDOWN from softpedia. But, after I looked it up, it only works with MS EXCHANGE 2007. AND, it does NOT do notes and maybe even tasks as well.

Nice try, NO GOOD VERIZON.

I have a smartphone that is not very smart.

MP

Status
Not open for further replies.