Sync Novell GroupWise

brubakes

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to sync the calendar on the Droid with an install of Novell GroupWise.

Right now I can export the GroupWise calendar and import it to Google calendar. It works, but as soon as there is a change made to GroupWise the now imported Google calendar is now obsolete and would need imported again.

An over the air solution would work best.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Novell has always been a pain. I have not seen anything for novell.

gwguruman

Reaction score
Novell DataSync with GroupWise and ActiveSync connectors

Does anyone know of a way to sync the calendar on the Droid with an install of Novell GroupWise.

Right now I can export the GroupWise calendar and import it to Google calendar. It works, but as soon as there is a change made to GroupWise the now imported Google calendar is now obsolete and would need imported again.

An over the air solution would work best.

Yes. Novell has a solution called Novell DataSync that does it over the air. This is replacing the Novell GroupWise Mobile Server (GMS) which is going away.

Read this Novell Connection Magazine article titled "Catch the Vision":
PDF = http://www.novell.com/connectionmagazine/2009/08/tt1.pdf
HTTP = Catch the Vision

Here is a snippet of this article on DataSync:
"

Novell DataSync enables seamless back-end synchronization of e-mail, calendar items, tasks, events and any other collaboration data to multiple systems. It will allow external enterprise applications such as CRM, ERP and other business systems—along with content from traditional products such as GroupWise, Novell Teaming, Exchange and SharePoint—to be synchronized across systems. As changes occur in the systems connected to the synchronization engine, Novell DataSync stores those changes in real-time and allows other connected systems to access them. (See Figure 2.)

As a multisource, multitarget synchronization engine, Novell DataSync is not necessarily tied to any specific collaboration solution. However, its integration benefits will first be seen through connectors for Novell GroupWise and Novell Teaming. In addition to the GroupWise and Teaming connectors, Novell will soon release connectors for SharePoint, SugarCRM, salesforce.com and ActiveSync with plans to release connectors for Documentum and SAP in the near future. (See Figure 3.)

"​

I'm testing Novell DataSync right now with the ActiveSync and GroupWise connectors installed on a SLES 10 Linux server at my house. Its working great so far against my GroupWise 8.0.1 system.​

I have a DROID cell phone in my testing.​

You can take part in this ActiveSync Beta - read the details here Novell ActiveSync Connector - Authorized Beta | Novell User Communities

-Ed H​

Last edited:

czahrt

Reaction score
Looks like this is GW 8. We use 7.x, so I don't think this is a solution for us.

gwguruman

Reaction score
Carl - This new Novell DataSync solution is for GroupWise 8 and later. GroupWise version 7.x is nearing it's end of life where the last day of General Support from Novell is March 1st, 2010. So your IT depratment should be planning now to upgrade at least the back end to GroupWise 8.0.x while the end users can still run the GroupWise 7.0.x clients. With this upgraded back end, the GroupWise end users can use the Novell DataSync solution to all PDA devices.

Here is the Novell Product Support Lifecycle table - NOVELL: Product Support Lifecycle

Your IT department can purchased Novell Extended Support for GroupWise 7.x which will can keep it going until March 1, 2012.

Last edited:

czahrt

Reaction score
Thanks, I know it's in the works here, but I don't know the timeline. Right now the rely on NotifyLink mostly.

OP
brubakes

brubakes

Reaction score
Looks like this is GW 8. We use 7.x, so I don't think this is a solution for us.

Same here, but the ability to sync my driod and other devices will be a driving force to our migration to version 8.

Last edited:

gwguruman

Reaction score
Here is a technology preview of the new Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack solution from Novell. This will allow the current ActiveSync client technology built into most smart phones (iPhone, Android, etc) to sync to Novell GroupWise 8 and >. Your IT department can test this today in their test lab to an Android based phone and many other smart phones - see http://www.novell.com/promo/data_synchronizer.html

OP
brubakes

brubakes

Reaction score
Here is a technology preview of the new Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack solution from Novell. This will allow the current ActiveSync client technology built into most smart phones (iPhone, Android, etc) to sync to Novell GroupWise 8 and >. Your IT department can test this today in their test lab to an Android based phone and many other smart phones - see http://www.novell.com/promo/data_synchronizer.html

Thanks for the tip I will check it out. We signed up to be a beta tester of the next version of their newest mobile server, but haven't heard back.

gwguruman

Reaction score

Thanks for the tip I will check it out. We signed up to be a beta tester of the next version of their newest mobile server, but haven't heard back.

This "Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack" is the newest mobile server solution from Novell.

Your IT department (and you) can download this Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack program right now. No waiting for a call from Novell is needed. Go to the link above, click on "+ Download the technology preview", click on "-> Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack - Technology Preview", this brings you to the file named "novell-data-synchronizer-mobility-pack-39.1111.iso". Here is the direct download link -

NOVELL: Downloads - Technology Preview - Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack

Download this 9.6MB file and burn it to a CD. Now go install this to a Novell SLES11 64-bit server which takes a total of 10 minutes to install, at most. Its a 1 Wizard install.

A FREE Quick Start Guide to install this new Novell GroupWise gateway is at

Guide to the Novell Mobility Pack

JML

Reaction score
Synching GWise Calendar with Driod

You can set up a rule in GWise to forward your appointments to your gmail address and they post to your Google Calendar. It doesn't work both ways, however. You also get a reminder, which is a calendar icon, on your notifier. I recently became aware of this link for the i-phone and it works, however, it is not working in reverse - appointments made on my phone don't go back to GWise and it doesn't sync. It's a start anyway:

Synchronizing Novell GroupWise Calendar with iPhone

OP
brubakes

brubakes

Reaction score
We are no running Novell's Data Synchronizer software package. It syncs my contacts, email, and calendar now to my Driod (and co-workers Droid 2). Excellent product.