Will Droid work with Novel GroupWise?

gwguruman

Reaction score
If anyone who uses GroupWise for work email can chime in, I'd like to know if the Droid will support Novel? Can an email account hosted on a GroupWise server be piped in using IMAP? Also would like to know about using GW calendars on the Droid? Many thanks!

Jason

Novell has a solution called Novell DataSync which does this sync over the air with two connectors install of ActiveSync and GroupWise. I wrote about this in another DROID thread here at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/2029-sync-novell-groupwise-post108020.html

Emerald01

Reaction score
Update?

Is there an update on this at all? I heard an ap was being developed but haven't been able to find anything beyond this thread. Any updated info would be great.

Cheers!
Melissa

ninjahippie

Reaction score
We are planing to install Novell's mobile server product. I'm not leading the project but will be involved and will post on it when I've had some experience. According to our project list it's on the schedule for April - so more info soon.

gwguruman

Reaction score
Is there an update on this at all? I heard an ap was being developed but haven't been able to find anything beyond this thread. Any updated info would be great.

Cheers!
Melissa

Here is a Feb 3rd, 2010 update from Novell -

Collaboration Schedule/Plan Updates! | Novell User Communities

More details should be announced this week at Novell's Brainshare conference.

The Novell product name is "Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack". No APP is needed on the Android phone since it already has the Corporate Email and Calendar APP installed which talks ActiveSync over TCPIP. This Mobility Pack is what the ActiveSync protocol in the Android cell phone connects to.

Emerald01

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you so much! I'm trying to convince my boss to let me go with a Droid instead of a Blackberry. :)

gwguruman

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you so much! I'm trying to convince my boss to let me go with a Droid instead of a Blackberry. :)

Tell your boss that there is a cost for the account on the BlackBerry server (BES) vs no cost to have an account on the Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack server.

Emerald01

Reaction score
We're a Novell reseller partner, so we do get the shinies. He gets back from Brainshare soon, actually. I'm hoping he'll share the news on Monday. :) I'll check into the Mobility pas server, though.

Thanks!

gwguruman

Reaction score
We're a Novell reseller partner, so we do get the shinies. He gets back from Brainshare soon, actually. I'm hoping he'll share the news on Monday. :) I'll check into the Mobility pas server, though.

Thanks!

Here is a technology preview of the new Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack that your IT department to test non production today to a DROID and many other smart phones - see http://www.novell.com/promo/data_synchronizer.html

brubakes

Reaction score
Syncing GroupWise to your DRIOD is easy. As already said you can use POP or better yet IMAP. This will take care of your email. If you are looking for a way to sync GroupWise tasks and calendar then your in for a bit more searching. There is no free software that I'm aware of to do this.

Novell and GroupWise does support mobile devices. You just have to have the right software. Novell's "Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack" is in BETA now that will allow a full sync of your DRIOD with GroupWise. It's a sever level software package that your tech guys would need to install.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
my school is getting rid of Novell Groupwise within the month for some sort of google based mail (not gmail) They assured us we would not lose our current email addy. I tried to set up groupwise on my phone, but I suck at the POP3 crap, so I just simply bookmarked our county's web-based groupwise that I can sign in on, and put that with my other emails into a folder.

Either way, I will look into that forwarding thing, but I gotta be honest, I get so much junk emails due to coaching, reffing, day to day b.s., I don't know if I want my phone blowing up every 2 minutes just to see the results for the 6th grade talent show. lol

FWIW - I can do attendance and grades on my Droid .... lol. I don't, but I could

JML

Reaction score
GWise and the Droid

I receive GWise e-mails (In fact, my whole file cabinet shows up) through the IMAP server, but I cannot reply. Replies appear to be sent and even show up in my "sent" folder both on my phone and GWise, but they don't really send. After I tried it about 100 times, it finally worked a few times, but not since. Somebody said to use the gmail server as the outgoing server - I tried that and it didn't work either. Pop 3 stinks!

awg003

Reaction score
Groupwise on Droid

This is how I got it on my Eris. I used the IMAP protocol and input my standard GW email address username and password. For the IMAP server I used
gwate.alvinisd.net (this is for alvin ISD of course use whatever yours is instead). No security type and server port 143. Do not select login required for outgoing messages. SMTP server was gwgate.alvinisd.net again and no security with port 25. This is what worked for me I hope it helps!

ProbChild

Reaction score
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

This is how I got it on my Eris. I used the IMAP protocol and input my standard GW email address username and password. For the IMAP server I used
gwate.alvinisd.net (this is for alvin ISD of course use whatever yours is instead). No security type and server port 143. Do not select login required for outgoing messages. SMTP server was gwgate.alvinisd.net again and no security with port 25. This is what worked for me I hope it helps!

I tried EVERYTHING and have a call in for IT to help me - no return call and it has been two days. I am THRILLED to have access to my work email on my phone now! :icon_ lala::hail: ...this worked!! Thank you!