Swype

Randyd718

Reaction score
Anyone know when/if the beta will re-open or if they send out individual invites as they go? I was using a Swype apk I found and it just expired cuz of the new beta. SlideIT and ShapeWriter dont even come close for me

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when/if the beta will re-open or if they send out individual invites as they go? I was using a Swype apk I found and it just expired cuz of the new beta. SlideIT and ShapeWriter dont even come close for me

You "found" the .apk so you weren't on a beta team? If that's the case please don't ask for it over here, we do not allow that.

mauiblue

Reaction score
I used Advance Task Manager to uninstall Swype last night. I'm a bit disappointed but oh well. Shapewriter is working out fine for me at the moment and the .apk will not expire. If anything, I'll see how Swype and Shapewriter works out when they finally issues the final product on the Market. I'll get both and see which one will win my heart and mind.

kmo

Reaction score
Not sure why more aren't using the SlideIt app. I have no basis for comparison since this is the only "Swype" like app I've tried but I have no reason to look any further because this app works just fine for me. You slide and it types, what else do you need? What do these other apps do that this one doesn't?

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
SlideIT is similar, but it is far from being as smooth as swype, swype just works better, and has a better interface. I switched to SlideIT because of the pain of worrying about expiration. And oh how i miss Swype.

Zandar

Reaction score
I'm in the Swype beta, but their stupid installer always messes up my Swype (keeps saying, "you already have a copy installed on your phone," or some other such nonsense even though I uninstalled Swype, the Swype installer, and restarted). I get the bootlegged ones so that I can still use it. If they put it up in the market today, they would have money from both my wife and me in a heartbeat.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
I had the newest Swype beta. Everytime I restarted my phone I would have to enable the stock keyboard and then reselect the Swype keyboard to get the "swyping" to work. I got fed up with that as I turn my phone off several times a day.

I found Ultra Keyboard. It has a "tracing" setting which works just like Swype. It also as multi touch, theme customization, voice entry, and a bunch of other settings you can tweak. The only catch is it costs about $3. Well worth it in my opinion. Anyone fed up with Swype should give it a shot.