Swype

droidborg

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Just got my X a couple of days ago and have been busy learning all I can about it. I had an Evo for a couple of weeks but couldn't deal with the Sprint attached to it and went back to Verizon where I have been for about 10 years. So I didn't have too much time with that phone but for what I did experience I like the X better over all. It has a better hand feel for one. The Evo was kind of bulbus where the X has a lite feel for its size. Texting however was a lot easier on the Evo. Perhaps because it had a program to learn how you personally typed which made it pretty fast for me as I am not a good phone typer coming from a LG Dare which was too small and I had to type with my little finger and I'm not under 30 either so texting is not second nature to me. Wish the X had that. Unless it is intuitive. ??

So to my question...I have tried swype a bit and am amazed at what it can figure out from my scrawling and it seems faster than my thumbs so I want to use it, however, when I am trying to search something that isn't a typical word it can't figure it out. You can hit each letter then choose it from the pop up but that takes too long and the only other thing I can do is hunt for the preference and switch back to the multi touch keyboard then go back to search then do it again for texting. Too much trouble. I looked through applications on the phone and searched Google for toggling between the two but found nothing. Is there such a thing? There should be.

On another note I have been having trouble with voice recognition at times for looking up contacts. It is completely off base when I say some names. Like when I said 'call house' or even just 'house' it came up with something completely different that sounded nothing like house. Recognition for texting or searching on the web seems to work well.

Thanks for any help.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
when I am trying to search something that isn't a typical word it can't figure it out. You can hit each letter then choose it from the pop up but that takes too long
First off, Welcome to Droid Forums and congratulations on your DX

As far as your Swype question, if there is a word that Swype doesn't recognize you can finger peck the word in it's entirety and hit the spacebar...this is how Swype learns, it will then add it to the dictionary and the next time you Swype it, it will show up

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
To switch, long press in the text area and choose "select input method".

The voice recognition for calling has never worked for me. Seems to work for other people, so who knows?

You might want to buy Better Keyboard and/or Smart Keyboard Pro from the market. I bought both. You can return it within 24 hours if you just want to check it out.

Don't kill tasks, don't use antivirus, don't use the stock email client (try K9, maildroid, or Touchdown)

OP
droidborg

droidborg

Reaction score
As far as your Swype question, if there is a word that Swype doesn't recognize you can finger peck the word in it's entirety and hit the spacebar...this is how Swype learns, it will then add it to the dictionary and the next time you Swype it, it will show up[/QUOTE]

I tried this but since I have auto space enabled I can hit a letter then it shows me options I choose the letter then there is a space before I can hit the next letter. I'll try it again. Thanks

OP
droidborg

droidborg

Reaction score
To switch, long press in the text area and choose "select input method".

Ok I'll try that.

The voice recognition for calling has never worked for me. Seems to work for other people, so who knows?

Hmmm

You might want to buy Better Keyboard and/or Smart Keyboard Pro from the market. I bought both. You can return it within 24 hours if you just want to check it out.

OK, I'll do some research.

Don't kill tasks, don't use antivirus, don't use the stock email client (try K9, maildroid, or Touchdown)

Aggg! I hit a task killer today. Freed up a lot of space but don't know if anything doesn't work now. I'm kind of worn out from playing with this thing to 2 days. I also loaded an antivirus yesterday.:icon_eek: So what's up with anit and task killers?

I haven't even gotten to email yet. The only thing I have loaded is a gmail account.

Cheers

OP
droidborg

droidborg

Reaction score
Ok read a bit on here about anti virus. Deleted it and deleted task killers. I don't seem to have much of a battery problem anyhow.

Tried to peck again in swype and it does work. Also pressed the text area to select. Not too much work.

I'm reading about the keyboards.

Thanks for the help.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Ok read a bit on here about anti virus. Deleted it and deleted task killers. I don't seem to have much of a battery problem anyhow.

Tried to peck again in swype and it does work. Also pressed the text area to select. Not too much work.

I'm reading about the keyboards.

Thanks for the help.

go here if you want the keyboard that is on the EVO:
Download: HTC IME Keyboard for DROID X | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
Its not perfect in landscape so if you can get over that then it works flawlessly.

go here if you want to make a custom keyboard just like the one on the EVO:
http://www.gimpsta.com/themer/index.php

OP
droidborg

droidborg

Reaction score
go here if you want the keyboard that is on the EVO:
Download: HTC IME Keyboard for DROID X | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
Its not perfect in landscape so if you can get over that then it works flawlessly.

go here if you want to make a custom keyboard just like the one on the EVO:
http://www.gimpsta.com/themer/index.php

I'm liking the Swype program which works amazingly well. The only drawback I can see is that I don't work on my hand held typing skills while using it. I didn't have the Evo long enough to see if it had a version of Swype or not. Does it and if so does it work as well?

What was good about the Evo was it's ability to learn how you type and possibly that the screen was a little wider and shorter which may have made it easier. I could be really sloppy on it and still get the end result in a pretty efficient time frame.

A note: it seems like I was always about ready to drop the Evo and was pressing keys by accident all the time. I think the rounded edges were the main cause of this. I don't have either problem with the DX.

I'll check out the links.

Thanks