Swype v3.25 Beta - Not working on Bionic?

gsDroid

Reaction score
I copied and pasted this from a post on AndroidForums from user PhilD: Just giving credit. I followed these and have the newest Swype. As you see, root is required. Also, follow the step-by-step instructions on the swype site for installing. I just kept my computer screen on the page while I did the install.

the instructions below from the Swype forums worked on my Droid X, haven't had time to try it on my Bionic yet, but i assume it will work. root is required, and guys, there is no recovery yet so PLEASE do not delete the original files, just rename them so you can restore the original version back at a later date if needed:

1. Change your default input method to anything other than Swype.
2. Mount file system as R/W
3. Delete (or move/rename) \system\app\swype.apk
4. Delete (or move/rename) \data\dalvik-cache\system@[email protected]@classes.dex
5. Delete (or move/rename) \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so
6. Reboot
7. Download and Run the latest Swype Beta installer

them0nk

Reaction score
Not to thread Jack, I've ditched swype a long time ago... Ultra keyboard is far superior... just enable tracing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Wera750

Reaction score
Tried the instructions above, didn't work. I renamed the files xxxxxxxx.rapk , xxxxxx.rdex, etc. No luck though. Any ideas?

gsDroid

Reaction score
Tried the instructions above, didn't work. I renamed the files xxxxxxxx.rapk , xxxxxx.rdex, etc. No luck though. Any ideas?

The instructions worked for many people. You could try again and follow the instructions on their web page very closely. Sorry you weren't successful.

nawdman

Reaction score
I have it use system app remover to remove old Swype from system apps then install 3.25 from Swype installer

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Wera750

Reaction score
Awesome! That way worked like a charm! Thanks!

PhilD

Reaction score
I copied and pasted this from a post on AndroidForums from user PhilD: Just giving credit...]
Thanks! but i don't deserve the credit, the instructions were originally posted on Swype's forums in this thread: Tutorial: Installing Beta Swype on Droid X. i successfully installed Beta 3.25 on my Bionic using these instructions, i did have a few force closes immediately after, but it has been working perfectly since. for the Swype haters out there, i stopped using Swype a long time ago because i hated the word correction popup box in the earlier builds. in the new builds (including 3.21 pre-installed in the Bionic), Swype uses the word correction bar introduced in Gingerbread (i think), works fantastic now. one thing i did notice is that the Beta 3.25 keyboard appears to be a little shorter in portrait mode than the pre-installed version. it is 1.25 inches from the bottom of the space bar to the top of the letter Y in first row (i.e., vertical extent in portrait mode not including word correction bar). this means the keys are a bit harder to accurately hit when not swyping (swyping is still amazingly accurate for me). it would be really cool if someone could measure the vertical height of the pre-installed version of Swype (not including the word correction bar) just to satisfy my curiosity...

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks! but i don't deserve the credit, the instructions were originally posted on Swype's forums in this thread: Tutorial: Installing Beta Swype on Droid X. i successfully installed Beta 3.25 on my Bionic using these instructions, i did have a few force closes immediately after, but it has been working perfectly since. for the Swype haters out there, i stopped using Swype a long time ago because i hated the word correction popup box in the earlier builds. in the new builds (including 3.21 pre-installed in the Bionic), Swype uses the word correction bar introduced in Gingerbread (i think), works fantastic now. one thing i did notice is that the Beta 3.25 keyboard appears to be a little shorter in portrait mode than the pre-installed version. it is 1.25 inches from the bottom of the space bar to the top of the letter Y in first row (i.e., vertical extent in portrait mode not including word correction bar). this means the keys are a bit harder to accurately hit when not swyping (swyping is still amazingly accurate for me). it would be really cool if someone could measure the vertical height of the pre-installed version of Swype (not including the word correction bar) just to satisfy my curiosity...

got it installed on my phone... not my wife's so I'll go check on that and see what the differences are... maybe I can get a video up for you...

PhilD

Reaction score
here you go, a quick video side by side [video=youtube;v9ZVLHNrowM]http://youtu.be/v9ZVLHNrowM[/video]

dude, that video is awesome, thanks a lot for that, i appreciate it!

i can see that the pre-installed version is definitely a little taller in portrait mode (even though beta 3.25 supports qHD resolution), but the difference isn't huge. i think i'm going to stick with the beta for now.

gwbennett

Reaction score
To use the beta you have too root your phone and delete the Swype files. There are 3. They are posted on bionic forums. I can't remember offhand the paths in question.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

lanza_david

Reaction score
Does Swype inc update the stock installed version once the stable version is released?

PhilD

Reaction score
Does Swype inc update the stock installed version once the stable version is released?
any updates to the stock pre-installed version is managed by moto + verizon, not swype, and i did not receive any updates to the keyboard outside of the full OS updates (i.e., Froyo to Gingerbread) on my Droid X.