Swype Beta update

dstreng

Reaction score
Since Swype Beta is updated and the stock Bionic version isnt, is it possible to get rid of the swype.apk in Root Explorer then donwload and install swype beta from their website? Does anyone know if this will work or not?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Themed versions of Swype are explicitly prohibited by the manufacturer.

Grievous

Reaction score
Since Swype Beta is updated and the stock Bionic version isnt, is it possible to get rid of the swype.apk in Root Explorer then donwload and install swype beta from their website? Does anyone know if this will work or not?

Yes, I just got done doing this and now have Swype 3.26 with the new auto updater on my Bionic.

from the Swype forum:

Automatic Updates
You've asked for it, so here it is! Swype BETA now supports automatic updates directly from within Swype! Version 3.26 of the Swype BETA includes Swype Connect v2, which lets us deliver the latest Swype improvements directly to your device.
  • Break free of the SwypeInstaller - Once you've installed this latest version of Swype BETA you'll never have to use the SwypeInstaller again. Updates can be installed straight from the Swype Settings menu.
  • Get Notified - When a new update is ready, we'll send a notification right to your device. Never get stuck with an expired version of Swype BETA again.
  • Save your dictionary and settings - Since automatic-updates don't require you to uninstall Swype first, you'll be able to take your dictionary and settings with you when you upgrade. No more re-entering slang and curse words ;)

OP
D

dstreng

Reaction score
Yes, I just got done doing this and now have Swype 3.26 with the new auto updater on my Bionic.

from the Swype forum:

Automatic Updates
You've asked for it, so here it is! Swype BETA now supports automatic updates directly from within Swype! Version 3.26 of the Swype BETA includes Swype Connect v2, which lets us deliver the latest Swype improvements directly to your device.
  • Break free of the SwypeInstaller - Once you've installed this latest version of Swype BETA you'll never have to use the SwypeInstaller again. Updates can be installed straight from the Swype Settings menu.
  • Get Notified - When a new update is ready, we'll send a notification right to your device. Never get stuck with an expired version of Swype BETA again.
  • Save your dictionary and settings - Since automatic-updates don't require you to uninstall Swype first, you'll be able to take your dictionary and settings with you when you upgrade. No more re-entering slang and curse words ;)
awesome! lemme know if u find any problems

jayman350

Reaction score
Yes you can get the beta on your bionic, I did a short writeup over on bionicforums.net under the apps section for how exactly to accomplish this. I would link to it, but I'm on my phone and can't do that now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes you can get the beta on your bionic, I did a short writeup over on bionicforums.net under the apps section for how exactly to accomplish this. I would link to it, but I'm on my phone and can't do that now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Could you post the link when you can? I did a search and couldn't find it.

reebz

Reaction score
Update your Swype w/ new Beta (need root)

Edit: I just installed the updated version without issue. Once I installed it, the program was generating a license and seemed to be hanging up, so I went to TiBu and defrosted Swype, went back to the installer and went through the process again. I got the message, "this program can't be installed on devices with Swype factory installed", or words to that effect, however, once I enabled it, it is working fine.

Last edited:

jayman350

Reaction score
I had that problem w/ the license hanging up as well. I didn't bother with defrosting swype b/c that was giving me problems. I don't think it ever went through w/ the licensing procedure, just backed out of it and it was working for me. I have since flashed a couple roms and didn't bother going back to the beta b/c there were some small things that really bugged me