Swype Beta

cdtdelta

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been using Gummy up to 2.5 and I've been able to use the Swype Beta by just removing the libSwypCore.so file from /system/lib and then running the beta installer. It's worked out great....

However now that I have Liberty on my DX it doesn't seem like I can do the same method anymore.

Is there any way I can run Liberty with the "official" Swype Beta? I've tried installing Liberty over Gummy without a wipe and with, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks ahead of time.....

Carpatus

Reaction score
There's two other files you have to remove. Don't remember what they are right now but I will look and get back to you on that. If you want to try and find them yourself though, you can search the official swype forums. That's where I found the thread.

Ok, here's the instructions I found.

Edit:Get a root file manager (I use root explorer)
1. Change your default input method to anything other than Swype.
2. Mount file system as R/W
3. Delete (or move/rename) \system\app\swype.apk
4. Delete (or move/rename) \data\dalvik-cache\system@[email protected]@classes.dex
5. Delete (or move/rename) \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so
6. Reboot
7. Download and Run the latest Swype Beta installer
8. ENJOY!

Last edited:

mikeyinid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Why are you using the swype beta and not the actual swype that came with the phone? Its posted everywhere...xda...If you go over and run a search its there. It installs no prob

OP
C

cdtdelta

Reaction score
Swype Beta is a newer version. Just got used to that one.

mikeyinid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ah, I see. I know when you try to use the beta on phones that come with it you run into issues. Glad you got it figured out :)
Swype Beta is a newer version. Just got used to that one.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Transparent

Reaction score
I wish liberty would come without swype pre installed. It's a hassle every update to remove and reinstall the beta version. Not to mention the rom is supposed to be aosp as possible. I think that's my only gripe about liberty!

Inkarnit

Reaction score
I've used both the old swype and new swype... version 1.something and version 2.something... Other than looking different, which can be changed by themeing it anyway, what is the difference? Works the same as far as I can tell...

chessnut

Reaction score
There's two other files you have to remove. Don't remember what they are right now but I will look and get back to you on that. If you want to try and find them yourself though, you can search the official swype forums. That's where I found the thread.

Ok, here's the instructions I found.

Edit:Get a root file manager (I use root explorer)
1. Change your default input method to anything other than Swype.
2. Mount file system as R/W
3. Delete (or move/rename) \system\app\swype.apk
4. Delete (or move/rename) \data\dalvik-cache\system@[email protected]@classes.dex
5. Delete (or move/rename) \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so
6. Reboot
7. Download and Run the latest Swype Beta installer
8. ENJOY!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mcp770

Reaction score
I wish liberty would come without swype pre installed. It's a hassle every update to remove and reinstall the beta version. Not to mention the rom is supposed to be aosp as possible. I think that's my only gripe about liberty!

I personally think the themed swype that came with Liberty is great. No real reason to beta a keyboard in my opinion...seems pointless. But thats jmo.