Swype 3.0

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Anyone know much about it? I personally love Swype. Tried Swiftkey, definitely not bad and I was impressed by the "smart keyboard" aspect for sure, but I just miss the ease of Swype. I read somewhere, can't remember where, that Swype 3.0 will be included in an update for phones with Swype pre-installed, I THINK it said it was separate from ICS, and I'm pretty sure Bionic was mentioned specifically (horrible memory). I'm wondering if anyone knows if even the leaked updates had the newest version of Swype and nobody really checked? If not, has anyone else heard anything about when it will be rolling out?

Reaction score
If you go to the official website it'll let you install swype 3.0 beta pretty much the same thing as the official. if you want to install on a device that has it preinstalled, you have to root and freeze/uninstall the preinstalled swype then install

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I was reading through the instructions and they seemed kind of risky, not sure if I wanted to go through with it, especially if the update will be rolling out relatively soon...

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Yes I'm aware of this work around. My question is if anyone on HERE knows anything about the official update included in any OTA. Will probably be ICS but...doesn't hurt to ask.

Reaction score
Most likely not just a separate ota a together

lykofos

Reaction score
I haven't installed any of the leaked updates, so not sure if they include an updated version of Swype.

I was reading through the instructions and they seemed kind of risky, not sure if I wanted to go through with it, especially if the update will be rolling out relatively soon...

I love Swype too, my favorite texting / typing method and the personal dictionary in the newest version is a nice addition.

It's actually not too complicated, but you do have to be rooted, and backing up the original pre-installed Swype with Titanium Backup Pro before you delete it is recommended. I got it installed fairly easily and it's been working great with no problems. I just followed the steps in this thread: ATTN: Swype lovers - Android Forums. The newest post detailing the procedure is near the bottom of the page, but here's a copy / paste to make it easier:
Originally Posted by messenger13

1. I opened my texting app and changed my 'Input Method' to the stock 'Multi touch keyboard'.
  2. (For you rooted folks with TiBu, I backed up just my data settings for Swype ... saving my custom Swype dictionary.)
  3. I uninstalled Swype
  4. Reboot
  5. Downloaded and installed the latest 'Swype Installer' from swype.com
  6. Installed the latest Swype beta (version 3.26.92D.35381.t0)
  7. Reboot (no FCs)
  8. Opened my texting app and changed 'Input Method' to 'Swype'
  9. Tested good.
  10. Reboot, still no FCs, tested again = good
  11. (For you rooted folks with TiBu, I then restored just my data settings only for Swype which gave me back my custom Swype dictionary.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Just checked out their website: "If your phone come pre-installed with Swype DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)"

Swype is the only reason I gave up a physical keyboard!

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Just checked out their website: "If your phone come pre-installed with Swype DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)"

See when I read that I assumed they meant it won't work...unless you root and uninstall first.

My main concern is I'd rather have the official OTA than the beta. I'd like to try the beta, but I'm getting mixed signals on if there's a risk involved, such as not being able to go back and get the official OTA, even if you just rename the original APK, though I'm probably just being paranoid. If someone can reassure me that it really is as simple as renaming, moving, and installing, and when it is released I can uninstall the beta, simply rename the original back to .apk, and bam get the update...then I'll just get the beta. ;)

Reaction score

That's why if your rooted freeze the preinstalled ten your good

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they didn't think of this and make the preinstalled version of Swype OTA self updating. It could work just like the Market, where it updates itself in the background.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they didn't think of this and make the preinstalled version of Swype OTA self updating. It could work just like the Market, where it updates itself in the background.

Yeah that's true. IIRC, there were comments that the makers of Swype initially just wanted to work with the phone manufacturers to be pre-installed and less with people installing it themselves. Well, if that's true, they need to update here as well.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well, since the thread got bumped and I coincidentally JUST took care of this today, I successfully installed Swype 3.0 beta on my Bionic. I used the basic instructions you can easily find online, renamed the files instead of freezing or uninstalling, and downloaded it straight through my phone. Had one force close issue, uninstalled both Swype and the installer, then reinstalled both through the same download file from earlier. Not counting the boot up time, probably took me like 2 minutes to do. No complaints so far!