Can't Update Swype on GB 0.8

Vismal

Reaction score
I tried to update to the newest swype beta (3.0 I believe) and once I install it and it tries to licence it, it will force close. I cannot figure out any work arounds. Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it???

jdhas

Reaction score
I tried to update to the newest swype beta (3.0 I believe) and once I install it and it tries to licence it, it will force close. I cannot figure out any work arounds. Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it???

Use Root Explorer to search for any "swype" files in your /system and /data folders. Delete these files (but not any "swype installer") files. IIRC, there are three files you need to delete: the .apk in /system/app, the file (can't remember the name) in /system/lib, and there is a file in the data/dalvik-cache directory (again, sorry, can't remember name).

I had the same problem you describe until I searched for and deleted the file data/dalvik-cache directory.

Hope this helps.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Strange. I just installed it. Granted I had a backed up ver in titanium, but seeing that I wiped data to install 0.8, it was just a matter of installing the installer. It's nice, hope you get it working

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8-Gingercomb Juiced

floydiannyc

Reaction score

1. Change your default input method to anything other than Swype.

Using a File Manager (I use Root Explorer):

2. Mount file system as R/W
3. Delete (or move/rename) \system\app\swype.apk
4. Delete (or move/rename) \data\dalvik-cache\system@[email protected]@classes.dex
5. Delete (or move/rename) \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so
6. Wipe Swype Data and Cache
7. Reboot
8. Download and Run the latest Swype Beta installer

Rezael

Reaction score
Hey if you uninstall swype throughliberty toolbox using manage apps it will install

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
I removed out from my phone, them went to the website and got the new installer. Everything else worked fine. I just entered all of this with it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

epsilonbass

Reaction score
Hey guys, first off the instructions here made it really easy to download the swype beta. If you are wondering I also uninstalled the original swype through the liberty tool box.

But a question for you.. Is there an easy way of returning to the original swype? I realize now that if I did the renaming to .bak method I could probably just have uninstalled the beta and re-rename the apps, but I'm guessing I hard deleted the files with LTB. I'm thinking that the only way to get it back is a fresh wipe and reinstall of LibV.08 right?

Not too big of deal, I'm just not digging the ginormous bubble letters and the inline word guesser that pops up and down, skitzing out. Seems like a big step back design wise.

Captmilk

Reaction score
Worked for me. Uninstall swype (titanbackup) send the invitation to yourself, login, and install both the full and the eng options and enjoy

Captmilk

Reaction score
Hey guys, first off the instructions here made it really easy to download the swype beta. If you are wondering I also uninstalled the original swype through the liberty tool box.

But a question for you.. Is there an easy way of returning to the original swype? I realize now that if I did the renaming to .bak method I could probably just have uninstalled the beta and re-rename the apps, but I'm guessing I hard deleted the files with LTB. I'm thinking that the only way to get it back is a fresh wipe and reinstall of LibV.08 right?

Not too big of deal, I'm just not digging the ginormous bubble letters and the inline word guesser that pops up and down, skitzing out. Seems like a big step back design wise.

Titanbackup reinstall

mikex

Reaction score
I went to manage apps in the lib toolbox. Clicked on system apps. Uninstall swype. Run the swype installer that you download from their site. Easy Peasy. And its awesome!