Switching from Treo tomorrow. Need help!!

Phillip944

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The future starts for me tomorrow when my new Droid arrives!!

I have relied on my Treo 700p for the past two years. I'm concerned about having similar features on the Droid. If there are any former Treo users out there, I could really use your help. I'll try to be as concise...

At the moment, I use Money Plus 2007 from Ultrasoft and DocsToGo from DataViz which I sync with my laptop via bluetooth... along with the usual tasks, calendar & contacts. I also sync with the desktop at my office every morning.

Does the Droid have desktop software? If so, will I sync in a similar fashion? Also, how close will I be able to come to Money & Docs?

My apologies for the "newbie" questions. Hopefully, I'll be able to pay it forward as my knowledge increases.

Thanks,
Phillip

bbtkd

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The future starts for me tomorrow when my new Droid arrives!!

I have relied on my Treo 700p for the past two years. I'm concerned about having similar features on the Droid. If there are any former Treo users out there, I could really use your help. I'll try to be as concise...

At the moment, I use Money Plus 2007 from Ultrasoft and DocsToGo from DataViz which I sync with my laptop via bluetooth... along with the usual tasks, calendar & contacts. I also sync with the desktop at my office every morning.

Does the Droid have desktop software? If so, will I sync in a similar fashion? Also, how close will I be able to come to Money & Docs?

My apologies for the "newbie" questions. Hopefully, I'll be able to pay it forward as my knowledge increases.

Thanks,
Phillip

I moved up from a Centro, but same thing. Anything the Palm could do, Droid does better plus much more. That said, some things are done differently. You don't plug the USB cable in and automatically synch it, though you can manually copy it. When you get an Android phone, they create a Google Mail account for you. They move your contacts from your Treo to Google. Then they set up your Droid with the Google account, and blam - your contacts are moved.

Then - unfortunately - you would need to re-enter your scheduled appointments, but this is real easy to do at the Google site. You can do it on the phone but there are some limitations like it won't let you do biweekly meetings that way. They will fix that eventually so for now you do it online. As you make changes, they appear on your Droid.

So - you don't ever have to synch contacts, Email, text messages, or appointments. They are always on the Google site. As far as apps, I believe Google keeps a list of your apps so essentially if you connect a new phone it knows what apps to reload. As far as application data, there's an app for that - MyBackup Pro. It backups everything that Google backs up, and more. The backup files go to your SD card or to the Backup Pro site. You still may need to make an occasional copy of your SD card to your PC, but I suspect there are apps for that too. You really need to know which apps work with Backup Pro and also which may write data to memory rather than the card. I saw one app yesterday that installs on your Droid and on your PC, then it makes your Droid SD visible as a network drive to your PC making copying easier. Or you can just use the USB cable.

I was going to go to the Pre, but a Mac commercial got me thinking. It was going to be pretty traumatic moving to the Pre anyway, and since the future for Palm is dismal I may as well move to the platform which will kill Palm! Do it, you'll never miss the Treo.

OP
Phillip944

Phillip944

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. If I'm reading you correctly, I will be using the calendar & tasks on the Google website instead of desktop software?

Milehighjc

Reaction score
There is another thread called Palm Users Who Changed to Droid - it has a lot of good information for you.

I switched from a Treo 755p, and have found that almost everything I had on the Treo I can do on Droid, in many cases with the same app (android version available). There are some exceptions - one of my favorite palm apps was TRYDA, and there is not a version of that available yet, although they say they are considering it.

Sync is another issue... I am a lotus notes user, and needed contacts and calendar migrated/synced. I found CompanionLink, which is helping, but its not perfect. The version Im using now extracts from notes (they also do MANY other forms, including Palm Desktop) and load to Google. It works, but its not perfect yet - having trouble with repeating entries for example. They have also announced their intent to release a version that will sync over a USB cable if you are concerned about security of putting things on Google Calendar (I am).

jc

eversonsc

Reaction score
If you use Microsoft Outlook for your calendars you can download Google Calendar Sync and it will pull your information from Outlook and put it on the google calender which will then be pushed over the air to your phone. Then anytime you put an appointment on your phone it will push over the air to the google calendar and then sync with your desktop. It works great for me

OP
Phillip944

Phillip944

Reaction score
I don't use Outlook. I've been using the Palm desktop. I have no idea how I'm going to export my info.

eversonsc

Reaction score
Is there an option to sync your palm desktop with Outlook? Then when you get the Droid you can at least be able to transfer your current appointments etc to the new phone. Just a suggestion

ltfrakes

Reaction score
Philip, you will do fine with this phone coming from the Palm. Like any major change, it will take some getting used to, but having come from Palm and a BB I found that change fairly easy, and very welcome.