Swipe + Password

vann816

Reaction score
My company has just started to enforce pins on our mobile devices. Is there no way to turn off the swipe and go straight to the enter password screen when you wake the device? This seems like an unnecessary step and annoying.

I'm on a Moto Droid1 with 2.2.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
V

vann816

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't. This is forced down to me from the exchange server.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mendelay

Reaction score
What vann816 is saying is that the system will not allow the device to sync with Exchange unless the device is secured with a password or a PIN. A swipe pattern is not allowed. It's called Administrative Access (go to settings> location and security> select device administrators). It gives your company's IT certain access rights to your phone such as remote wipe.

It's really frustrating that every time I turn the screen on I have to (a) push the power button, (b) swipe, (c) enter pin, then (d) press ok. Steps b and d are completely unnecessary!
Does anyone know if this was corrected in Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)?

bejackso

Reaction score
good question, hopefully it's fixed in 2.3. it's retarded to have to swipe unlock, then pattern unlock. i want just the pattern! (or pin)

mendelay

Reaction score
And while they're at it, it should unlock as soon as I'm done entering the PIN, without having to press OK.

bejackso

Reaction score
i just dont get it. whoever was coding 2.2........did they just sit there and say to themselves, "Yeah this is a good idea. lets do a swipe to unlock, then pattern to unlock. you can't have one or the other. it's both or none."

DUMB!

mendelay

Reaction score
Don't be so quick to judge. Writing software is not as simple as you look at it. There are always, ALWAYS unintended results and consequences to the commands put in place. There are millions of variables to account for.
What would bother me is if people complained and it was not corrected in the next version.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
And while they're at it, it should unlock as soon as I'm done entering the PIN, without having to press OK.
Sounds like a potential security risk to me. I mean, it's unlikely that someone would randomly enter the correct PIN but odds are further decreased if the length of the PIN is unknown to the person attempting this.

mendelay

Reaction score
Sounds like a potential security risk to me. I mean, it's unlikely that someone would randomly enter the correct PIN but odds are further decreased if the length of the PIN is unknown to the person attempting this.

I don't agree with the logic. There is no way an intruder can figure out the length of the PIN this way. A user who feels that it poses any additional security risk can simply add another digit to the pin and that will more than compensate for any decrease in security. If the user still doesn't feel secure enough, they have the option of using a password. Alternatively, they can see a proctologist about getting the broom out of their ass if it's too far up that they can't pull it out themselves with home remedies.