I think I got snookered into giving up my password

Lenagainster

Reaction score
This morning when I turned on my phone I had a warning notification in the upper left corner, and when I read it, it said I had to enter my Picasa password for an update. I have had Gmail ask for my password before (after changing it online) and I thought this just a delayed request to update it. So I entered it. An hour or so later, I thought this might not be right, so I went to my Google account online and changed my password again. Then, a few hours later, I got a warning notice when I signed into Gmail that there had been some suspicious access to my gmail from a mobile number in a distant state shortly after I had submitted my password for the "Picasa update". Checked all my accounts, didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Did a Google search for something related to Picasa, mobile, password change, scam, etc. and found nothing, only that some were having problems signing into their Picasa accounts from their phones, and thought there was a bug.
In any event, I signed up for the Google two step verification (closing the barn door after the horses got out) and hope that it's just a bit of paranoia and maybe the password request was legitimate.
Any insights or others with similar experiences?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would check my account throughout the day to see if anything was compromised.

I think it's some glitch with picasa servers and they sent that email out as a warning. I just got an email regarding Best Buy email accounts were given out due to a glitch of some sort. Good thing I haven't used Best Buy for years.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I think it's some glitch with picasa servers and they sent that email out as a warning..
I think you are right. This morning, I had the warning message on my Droid, this time I canceled it. Then I opened Picasa on my computer, and got a notice they wanted to update. Clicked OK. Picasa restarted, and again I got the notice they wanted to update. Looks like it was going into an endless loop. Finally I replied "later", and I could use Picasa.
Perhaps the suspicious access to my gmail yesterday was coincidental. Or maybe not :icon_evil:

EDIT: Went into the Droid accounts setting, clicked on Picasa, and there I was asked to update the password. My latest gmail password didn't work because I signed up for the two step verification process, so I entered the password that was generated by Google for mobile devices (since they are not set up for two step verification). The Google password worked. Back on the computer, and still having the endless loop of Picasa updating.

EDIT: to get out of the endless loop of Picasa trying to update, open Picasa, cancel any offers to update, go to the help menu, click on "Check for updates", it will then download the information and install the update properly.