Super annoying notification sound with location services enabled

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Galaxy S5 from Lollipop to Marshmallow. Now that I can prevent some apps from having access to location, I've been leaving location enabled in High Accuracy mode for better weather, etc. and I'm noticing -- being really annoyed by -- a notification that I think was in Lollipop, too.

If my Sound is on (not muted or set to vibrate), every time I unlock my phone and periodically at other times (even at night when I have notifications silenced) my phone makes a two-tone notification noise and the location icon (inverted teardrop with a circle cut out of the top) flashes on the notification bar. I can't tell you what notification sound it is because it doesn't seem to be available to manually configure for notifications. My wife says it sounds like Plinko from The Price is Right. I think it sounds like two notes on a marimba (~wooden xylophone). What the heck is this sound, where does it come from, and how do I disable it (without silencing all notifications)?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I would guess it is a 3rd party app doing it... Perhaps the weather app you mentioned... From what you are saying it does appear to be linked to a location inquiry.... I would go through the settings in that app..

Reactions: CJM

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something is polling for your location and can't get a lock. Might be gmail or some other bloatware that syncs when you unlock your phone. I'd check any apps you've got that want your location other than weather.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><