Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
An OEM replacement battery for the S5 was less than 15 bucks for me. The OP might start there, but since this started happening after an update, there could be a wakelock issue so a battery replacement won't resolve this problem. Running GSAM Battery might help diagnose the issue.

S5 tap'n

OP
K

karasahin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Your phone should shut off at those temps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Idk it doesn't even give me a warning notification and the performance is still flawless at those temps. I mean it doesn't even underclock I guess.

OP
K

karasahin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
The phone would give you second to third degree burns at those temps!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Idk really. Maybe CPU-z is reading incorrect? But Samsung Phone Info reports pretty much same values. The S5 was normally running cool before an update, maybe this is why I don't feel as much as 70 celsius outside of the phone. Maybe its insulation is good, couldn't be sure.
68.png 73.png

OP
K

karasahin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
An OEM replacement battery for the S5 was less than 15 bucks for me. The OP might start there, but since this started happening after an update, there could be a wakelock issue so a battery replacement won't resolve this problem. Running GSAM Battery might help diagnose the issue.

S5 tap'n
The battery replacement doesn't solve the problem unfortunately. It was an OEM battery I purchased. A wakelock issue would be still present after flashing roms, return back to factory settings? I might try GSAM Battery. Could you please guide me little how to proceed?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
CPU temp....battery temp is what everyone is concerned with. CPUs can handle that temp. Not batteries!!!

OP
K

karasahin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
CPU temp....battery temp is what everyone is concerned with. CPUs can handle that temp. Not batteries!!!

5-1.gif
According to the picture above the battery is considered safe below 45 celsius stated by Samsung. My phone's battery is hot but nowhere that hot. I'm not saying it should keep working at 39 celsius though. There is something wrong indeed.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The battery replacement doesn't solve the problem unfortunately. It was an OEM battery I purchased. A wakelock issue would be still present after flashing roms, return back to factory settings? I might try GSAM Battery. Could you please guide me little how to proceed?

As I mentioned before, flashing roms not specifically designed for your device could cause a whole host of issues, even if you aren't noticing them right away. Especially different kernels.
As Mustang mentioned, the cpu temps are perfectly acceptable, it's the battery temps your should be concerned with and they look fine. I personally don't see an issue here. 60-70 degree Celsius temps are normal, especially if you're playing games, or you have a number of apps running in the background like Maps, Facebook, etc.
Download GSAM Battery off the Play Store and use your phone as you normally would for at least 48 hours. This will tell us exactly what's running in the background or catch anything that may be causing problems. Don't change the way you typically use your device as you're running GSAM. Then we'll look at the results to see which app or process is causing a problem.
If there are any issues, you'll want to go in and delete every third party app you've downloaded, do a factory data reset, then make sure you go into "accounts" and make sure every box is unchecked (except your email & contacts) so your apps don't automatically start downloading.
b54113fd012813836c3deb23c03edea6.jpg

Nothing you have shared with us would make a device physically slippery, but run GSAM and we'll be able to pinpoint any problems you might have.

S5 tap'n

OP
K

karasahin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
As I mentioned before, flashing roms not specifically designed for your device could cause a whole host of issues, even if you aren't noticing them right away. Especially different kernels.
As Mustang mentioned, the cpu temps are perfectly acceptable, it's the battery temps your should be concerned with and they look fine. I personally don't see an issue here. 60-70 degree Celsius temps are normal, especially if you're playing games, or you have a number of apps running in the background like Maps, Facebook, etc.
Download GSAM Battery off the Play Store and use your phone as you normally would for at least 48 hours. This will tell us exactly what's running in the background or catch anything that may be causing problems. Don't change the way you typically use your device as you're running GSAM. Then we'll look at the results to see which app or process is causing a problem.
If there are any issues, you'll want to go in and delete every third party app you've downloaded, do a factory data reset, then make sure you go into "accounts" and make sure every box is unchecked (except your email & contacts) so your apps don't automatically start downloading.
Nothing you have shared with us would make a device physically slippery, but run GSAM and we'll be able to pinpoint any problems you might have.

S5 tap'n

I didn't flash roms not specifically designed my device right away. At first I flashed official roms specifically designed my device (SM-900FQ) and it was still overheating and slippery as before. Then I started to flash SM-900F official roms. It was still the same thing so I decided to go further and did root. Then flashed custom recovery, roms and kernels. Finally seeing none of them helped I returned to the latest stock Lollipop firmware (SM-900FQ) that I'm currently using right now. So any remnants from the other roms, kernels are gone. Everything is official stock rom.

I don't think up to 79 celsius cpu temp and up to 40 celsius battery temp are perfectly acceptable when using the phone only for browsing...

I remember now that I use GSam before. Some people from other forums recommend that to me too. Screenshots:
Screenshot_2016-08-13-16-26-27.png Screenshot_2016-08-13-16-26-38.png Screenshot_2016-08-15-03-55-07.png Screenshot_2016-08-15-03-55-11.png Screenshot_2016-08-15-15-48-43.png Screenshot_2016-08-15-15-48-49.png

By the way, you have the S5 as well right? I see you are using KitKat. I even tried flash back to KitKat but no avail..

hauckk

Reaction score
I have a broken phone I think sometimes the sensor reads higher than it really it is I think that is my issue twrp said 72 celcius when my phone was still cool I tried it earlier today so I broke my phone somehow probably repeated overheats broke something I have left I in the sun for 5 hours accidently more than once hard bricked it once and and it was stuck in a bootloop for 6 hours I've done this more than this one I will claim as my fault and flashed g900f and g900t firmwares onto the device I own a g900v so yeah I'm pretty sure im the cause just being honest here

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
K

karasahin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I have a broken phone I think sometimes the sensor reads higher than it really it is I think that is my issue twrp said 72 celcius when my phone was still cool I tried it earlier today so I broke my phone somehow probably repeated overheats broke something I have left I in the sun for 5 hours accidently more than once hard bricked it once and and it was stuck in a bootloop for 6 hours I've done this more than this one I will claim as my fault and flashed g900f and g900t firmwares onto the device I own a g900v so yeah I'm pretty sure im the cause just being honest here

Sorry to hear that. Is your phone working properly now? Afaik carrier-models (Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T etc.) are much less compatible with other official roms for flashing. Some carrier models also come with a locked bootloader, making it harder to flash. Mine is carrier free so I could install official roms for 900F (only tried this one though). Never soft-brick the phone before. Always went smoothly. Still end up with overheating though lol.

hauckk

Reaction score
It works mostly its buggy a little every now and then

OP
K

karasahin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
It works mostly its buggy a little every now and then

Is it like this after performing a factory reset?

hauckk

Reaction score
This is the first issue I have noticed so far except automatic network time notification pops up saying it can't retrieve time it only happens on official firmware though otherwise I'm good thanks though I'm an advanced user I know such things

OP
K

karasahin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
This is the first issue I have noticed so far except automatic network time notification pops up saying it can't retrieve time it only happens on official firmware though otherwise I'm good thanks though I'm an advanced user I know such things
emoji57.png

That's nice to hear. The S5 is a solid phone when it works properly. I miss those good old days...