Stupid Question

chadh1

Reaction score
My buddy works for AT&T, we were somewhat debating about them vs Verizon. He was claiming that when at&t gets all of it's 4g lte network up and going in most places, that it will be 30% faster than Verizon's 4g lte. I am with Verizon, so don't favor one carrier over the other, but I just don't think he is accurate by claiming that. I was telling him they will probably very close in speeds or maybe one or the other might be slightly faster, but not really noticeable. Am I accurate? Or is he more accurate?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
It all depends on what at&t is spending their money on and the quality of the towers. My opinion, 30% faster is an average of 22mb down. It's a bold claim but who knows. He might have more insight, but again who knows. Nobody will until it's up and running.

Sent from the God of phones. Thunder....THUNDER! ... THUNDERBOLT!!

dzone67

Reaction score
IMO. AT&T's true 4G LTE is too young to be judged and as well make pretty bold assumptions towards it. Not to sure, but I highly doubt there's as many TRUE 4G LTE devices out there on AT&T when compared to Verizon. Let's not forget how much traffic towers have to face with mostly all new Smartphones being 4G (at least on Verizon). It's only obvious they will have higher speeds than most of us because of the brand new network and lack of traffic it has to face due to their low numbers of true 4G LTE devices. (I think I contradicted myself but hopefully you get the point ha).

Sent from a Rezound!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It "may be up to" 30% faster, but whether those speeds are truly reached is an unknown, is what I think. I personally think there won't be too much of a difference, and if you're going to say your internet is faster by 2mb/s then you really have nothing to brag about imo.

I do notice throughout the day I'll get maybe 15-18mbps download speed and later at night it can be bumped up to 25mbps, I do notice a speed difference, but I don't go around really comparing it to others. For testing reasons the speed will be important, for real world use it wouldn't be such a big deal because no one would really notice the difference between say 20mbps and 22mbps.

The thing about AT&T LTE is it's supposed to be more stable due to the fact they're on the gsm network and that's supposed to be more compatible with LTE than cdma is. That's the thing that I want to know, is whether their connections are more stable and if they have to deal with any extended downtime, like we did with the month of December....oh the frustration that month provided...

Last edited:
OP
C

chadh1

Reaction score
Yeah I guess time will tell for sure which is faster. Personally, I don't think there will be much difference, but that's just me. Not that I really care either way, but will say with how much my buddy brags up at&t and how he tried really hard to get me to switch to them and leave Verizon, it gets really annoying haha. Which has started to get me to dislike at&t haha.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums