n00bish questions about 4G

enduser2941

Reaction score
Hey guys, probably not the right forum to post this in so please allow me to apologize now. I just have a small question. As you guys know, I am not a Verizon customer, I have AT&T. Because of this I always get confused by the commercials about who has the largest 4G networks.. AT&T claims to have the largest 4G while Verizon also claims to have the largest 4G expect, Verizon always speciafies that the have the largest 4G LTE network. While I understand (atleast I believe I do) that 3G 4G refer to different networks that run faster then the last (probably due to better compression and other software related changes), I do not understand teh difference between AT&T's 4G network and Verizons 4G LTE. Can someone please explain this difference to me?

Thanks a bunch guys! All Hale DF.NET! :)

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
In all actuality, no provider offers "true" 4G. The requirements have simply been adjusted. The "4G" that AT&T is referring to is actually HSPA+ which is faster than 3G, but slower than LTE. AT&T is rolling out their LTE because it will be the long term standard. It will theoretically be able to offer speeds we can't even fathom from a wireless carrier at this point. Basically Verizon LTE > AT&T 4G (HSPA+)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I can't go into minute details but I hope I can give you the correct basics. Overall, Verizon has the best coverage. They have better quality, as well. But, it also depends on where you live. Verizon owns the fastest spectrum which allows them to have faster speeds. VZW's 4G LTE is faster than AT&T's 4G. The LTE is faster than just 4G. But, that also depends on the carrier. AT&T has LTE (I think), but it is slower than VZW's LTE due to the spectrum differences. I hope that covers what you need to know. Someone should come along that can explain more than me and probably correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is the basic jist of it.

Dang. Ninja'd by syndicate.

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
Hey guys,

That was a perfect reply by both and greatly appreciated! If someone would like to come around and add greater details ie actually as LLC number speeds ect that would be awesome, though you guy helped me to understand exactly what I was confused by so I thank you greatly! This is why I love this forum!

At times I wish I had Verizon, though since I like in Jersey I certainly don't have to worry about which company I use when considering coverage as there is No shortage of that for the most part in the tri-state area. It really all comes down to hardware, features, support and price. Right now for the time being that's AT&T for me and switching would be cost prohibitive. Though I do like Verizon's data offerings better then AT&T, but I've never come close to my 2gb limit and I'm always on the net and pic sharing which uses MMS which just go over the data side.

I was curious though, and unrelated to OP, does (or can) Verizon ever plan on offering the Samsung Galaxy Note or do they have a similar beasty other then iPhone if which I personaly am not a fan and have No interest in. I am a tried and true Droid fan and should I ever leave Droid I would return to Crackberry.

Thanks again gents!

EU2941

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (SGH-1717) using Tapatalk 2 - jealous aren't ya! ;o)

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I think (most definitely not certain) that VZW will have the Note II. If you're looking at a "phablet," the HTC Droid DNA (5" 1080 HD) will be coming to Big Red soon.

OP
E

enduser2941

Reaction score
I'll have to take a look at that. I love my Phablet and was considering upgrading to the Note 2 but was interested to what else is out there similar. I got hooked on having a stylus with my current Note and now can't see not having one Lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (SGH-1717) using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're interested in some actual numbers, here's something from an article I found here:

"LTE theoretical speeds boast downlink speeds of 300Mbps and uploads of 75Mbps."

"HSPA+ is the tip of the mountain with 3G technology, and LTE is simply the foundation for a new mountain."

I do know that HSPA+ speeds depend on whether it is HSPA+21 or HSPA+42. 42 obviously being faster.