Stuck in boot loop, Volume keys non-functioning, need to factory reset to send back!!

snjfinances

Reaction score
I am in a potentially very bad situation:

My Motorola Droid 1 (Model A855, Android version 2.2.2, Build FRG83G) had problems with the keyboard, so I went to Verizon. They said they'd send me a replacement phone and I needed to send it back to them within 5 days of receiving the new phone. Well today is Day 5, so I need to get this phone to FedEx. Here are the issues:

1. I have a lot of custom apps, settings, themes, etc, so I tried to find ways of backing them up to transfer to the replacement phone without root. No luck AT ALL. I have no computer at home (just an iPad and my wife is out of town with our Mac laptop), so this made things much, much harder, as I've had to do all the work at work! I am so busy at work I have had no time, and I've been averaging 3 hours of sleep because of these damn phones and the fact that Verizon will charge me tons of $ if I give them a phone with root.

2. So I ended up rooting both phones using the same sd card, and i bought Titanium Backup. FYI I rooted using this video on Youtube: How to root Moto Droid 1 on ANY version (Including 2.2.2) - YouTube. I used my windows laptop at work to do it (that's where I am now). Keep in mind that I went from knowing absolutely nothing about any of this to almost completion in a very short amount of time. Everything went very smoothly, although I did lose about half of my contacts?? Not cool. I can't get Google or Titanium Backup to do this successfully. This is not the issue.

3. Now on my original phone with the problems, before sending it back, I successfully removed the Superuser app with Terminal Emulator and then followed the same process from the YouTube video (using the file provided) to unroot. This worked, but now my phone is stuck in a boot loop of the white DROID animation and the red eye animation. I need to do a factory reset, BUT (and this is the HUGE issue!) after booting to recovery while holding in X, my volume keys do NOT function. I lost their functioning quite some time ago, but it wasn't a big deal to me then. So, how do I do a factory reset without being able to boot and without using my volume buttons?? Is there a way to get behind the volume button and make it think I am hitting it?? Is there a way to run a command from a computer that will send a code to it via USB? Is there another way, or am I going to have to call Verizon and lie about it? If so, what should I tell them?

I hope to hear from someone soon!!! Thanks to you all in advance!!!

OP
S

snjfinances

Reaction score
This worked, thank you! I saw an option to do this before, but I was hesitant since it wasn't 2.2.2. Oh well. Good enough, right? If someone thinks it will be a problem that I don't have 2.2.2, please let me know how to get it! Otherwise the phone is being sent back today!

Thanks again!

leftspin

Reaction score
This worked, thank you! I saw an option to do this before, but I was hesitant since it wasn't 2.2.2. Oh well. Good enough, right? If someone thinks it will be a problem that I don't have 2.2.2, please let me know how to get it! Otherwise the phone is being sent back today!

Thanks again!

no problem, glad I could help!

I doubt there will be a problem with it not being 2.2.2