Stuck at Motorola start-up screen (M of death)

maxzutter

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, running 2.2.1 (2.3.340). I installed GummyJAR 2.5 and the setup ran smoothly, but when I rebooted, the phone got stuck on the motorola screen. I tried several (20+) battery pulls, wiping the cache and data (factory reset), and installing the stock 2.2.1 as an update.zip but none worked. I still get the M of death.

Here's the message I get when I try to apply the update.zip
"Verifying your current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/sdcard/app/AccountAndSyncSettings.apk", e4460022c15f112cdfeed63856bcc24632fcfbe5", "cf11303e36901d8339dc3bec8d30e7c502f3ef81")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Is there any way to apply the update.zip or my nandroid backup through bootloader?
(I can't apply it through bootstrapper because my phone wont start-up)

Or is there any way to apply my nandroid backup as an update.zip or through the stock system recovery?
(I don't know if there should be an option but at the bottom of the system recovery page it says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

-thanks in advance, life without my droid is meaningless

andylulzyou

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, running 2.2.1 (2.3.340). I installed GummyJAR 2.5 and the setup ran smoothly, but when I rebooted, the phone got stuck on the motorola screen. I tried several (20+) battery pulls, wiping the cache and data (factory reset), and installing the stock 2.2.1 as an update.zip but none worked. I still get the M of death.

Here's the message I get when I try to apply the update.zip
"Verifying your current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/sdcard/app/AccountAndSyncSettings.apk", e4460022c15f112cdfeed63856bcc24632fcfbe5", "cf11303e36901d8339dc3bec8d30e7c502f3ef81")
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Is there any way to apply the update.zip or my nandroid backup through bootloader?
(I can't apply it through bootstrapper because my phone wont start-up)

Or is there any way to apply my nandroid backup as an update.zip or through the stock system recovery?
(I don't know if there should be an option but at the bottom of the system recovery page it says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

-thanks in advance, life without my droid is meaningless

I had the same problem when I was trying to update except mine as with the Flash Player.apk

I had to .sbf

OP
M

maxzutter

Reaction score
I was hoping that wasn't my only option. Iv'e considered the flash/sbf method but Iv'e heard its very risky. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any alternate resolutions.

-thanks again

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SBF time.. it not really all that bad.. Z4root and you will be rooted in less than a minute.. you will be back up and running with whatever rom you choose in under 45 min:)