Stuck after installation of Safestrap Recovery v1.07

drhgreene

Reaction score
Hi All,

Somehow I neglected to download any custom ROMs while (otherwise) following timmy10shoes Detailed Safestrap Instructions. I completely glossed over Step 1 and its predecessor, which recommended 2GB free space on both internal and external storage. The remainder of the installation of Safestrap v1.07 went fine until I got to step 6, which says go to "mounts and storage" menu and format \system. Just to make sure I wasn't about to do anything irreversible, I read ahead to make sure I knew what the next steps would be and realized that I hadn't downloaded any ROMs.

I tried to disable Safe System but could not. I tried to restore my unsafe system but got messages saying the file could not be found, and that there was insufficient space to backup my safe system. I tried multiple permutations of steps that I thought would not be destructive, but I'm still stuck with either the green Safestrap menu or a blank screen, depending upon whether I hit the menu button on boot. Finally, I removed my external storage to examine the contents. I have over 11GB of free space (despite the insufficient space error message) and safestrap\backup\nonsafe-2012-07-24-.01.47.02, which contains the following files (size): nandroid.md5 (248), osh.ext3.tar (618,374,656), cache.ext3.tar (7,680), data.ext3.tar (1,132,438,528), system.ext3.tar (186,962,944), and systemorig.ext3.tar (383,118,848). It looks like safestrap did b/u my original system and files, yet would not restore my original system. I thought that as long as I have access to my ext storage, I could download some ROMs,
format\system, and try to install. But before I go any farther, given that I'm not sure that I haven't already screwed something up, I wanted some feedback.

Should I download ROMs to my SD card and try to install? If so, which ones? If not, how do I get back to my original system and start over?

TIA

OP
D

drhgreene

Reaction score
I downloaded Eclipse to my PC, moved it to my ext SD card, then followed timmy10shoes' safestrap instructions from step 6 on. It worked perfectly, as least as far as Eclipse is concerned. I haven't yet tried to switch between Eclipse and my original system, but for now, I'm OK.

Do you have any favorite ROMs to recommend?