Streaming video to Droid

xndzizz

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone know of an app that has a PC counterpart made to stream video files across your home network to your Droid device? It's something I'd love to set up.

andjarnic

Reaction score
I was looking for something similar. I think the main problem is that Android only plays one or two video types and audio types. There is an app on iPhone that is free (full version gets rid of small bar at bottom), that runs a "server" app on your PC, and when you want to watch a video, it converts it to one that can play on the iphone before streaming it, and in the background. I'd love to see an app like that on android as well! I'd do it myself (I am learning android development), but the encoders/decoders needed to convert from one format to the android accepted formats would require a lot of knowledge in how to use them, making sure they are installed on the PC, etc.

OP
X

xndzizz

Reaction score
Use 3GP Converter to convert practically any file format into .3gp or .mp4 files (these are the kind that android can play).

I could care less if the server application/android app receiver does any converting - I can do that part myself - I'm just looking for an app that allows me to stream it!

I bet there's a way with VLC.... hmm.

tmkpres

Reaction score
Use 3GP Converter to convert practically any file format into .3gp or .mp4 files (these are the kind that android can play).

I could care less if the server application/android app receiver does any converting - I can do that part myself - I'm just looking for an app that allows me to stream it!

How come when I DL'd this 3gp converter, its in japanese ??? I can't read that :mad:

OP
X

xndzizz

Reaction score

How come when I DL'd this 3gp converter, its in japanese ??? I can't read that :mad:

click the tab on the bottom left to change language

OP
X

xndzizz

Reaction score
this works pretty well! thank you for the recommendation.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have not tried to put a movie on my Droid yet, but I wanted to see if I could watch Paranormal Activity on it. I was reading here on how to get started, and I see that I need to convert it. I'm a Mac user, and Handbrake is not going to work with Tiger. Sooo, I found this link, which may help user TMKPRES, too.

How to convert avi to mp4 for iPhone with VLC | Pieter van Gils

I'm trying it now, and I will post back to let you know if it works.

Technoman

Reaction score
I have a HAVA HD Media box that is attached to my cable. I contacted them after purchasing my DROID to ask if and when they would have a player for Android. They responded with early in 2010.

I can't imagine streaming video from my PC to my phone, but I guess it might help with storage space.

attaboyix

Reaction score
Try Wowza Streaming server

I know this is an old thread but the question is still relevant.
Wowza has a personal server that's free. Its a Darwin streaming server that will stream media to your android player via rtmp, rtsp, or http. Really easy, works great. Good instructions for encoding and streaming. You are limited only by your bandwidth. Files don't have to be hinted using Quicktime Pro or Real to stream. Darwin also does http adaptive streaming.

Wowza Media Server 2 - The Platform For Streaming Flash, iPhone, Silverlight and much more.