Strange Battery Problem

Kerchak

Reaction score
I keep my phone plugged in over night so it can charge and I also keep it next to me since it's also my alarm clock. So I woke up this morning to my alarm going off and I saw the little red light lit up. I looked at the phone and it showed that it was in fact charging and it was at 5% batter life. I unplugged the phone and it stayed at 5% but when I plugged it back in, it shot up to 60% and the light turned off. It showed as charging again so I unplugged it once more and replugged it back in and it went all the way up to 100% and stopped charging. This was 4 hours ago and right now everything seems fine and my phone still has a full charge.

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know what could have cause this to happen and if there is anything that I should be worried about?

RubberSoul

Reaction score
Just happened to me minutes ago. Has never happened before.......strange, possibly something to do with a 2.1 update? Lol jk but strange.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
High magnitude earthquakes, disastrous floods, fluctuating battery levels; it's all a sign of the apocalypse. :)

If it were me I'd turn it off, pop the battery out and make sure there are no visible indications of damage and that there is good contact. Then perhaps try the "reconditioning" technique described elsewhere in the forum (letting the battery fully discharge two or three times). Ultimately it may be manufacturer defect that arises after X amount of battery usage and, depending on when you guys got your Droid, this sounds feasible. Not sure if defective batteries are covered by the warranty so you may otherwise just have to buy a new one if it becomes a problem.

B

bucmoe

Mine is doing something similar right now. Plus I was getting the erratic screen behavior just with the phone unplugged. May need to get a refurb hoping that draining the battery all the way tonight and then charging it fixes the issue.

OP
K

Kerchak

Reaction score
The same thing happening to multiple phones and all on the same day? Something fishy is going on here. Our droids are getting ready to take over the world. It's the end of the world via death by droid.

B

bucmoe

The Battery started working ok once I did the drain and recharge the indication was fine but now the Erratic Screen behavior is even worse. Getting a replacement..............Sucks.............

viper3two

Reaction score
Strange for sure. Mine was 90% at lunch, then at 5pm after work checked it, red light flashing at 5%. Never has done this before. Plugged it into the car charger, immediately went to 90%. Strange....

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
strange mine was on its best behavior today battery wise. Besides putting me into a 3 way call with the same person...

oh and i found out you can play videos and talk on the phone at the same time XD

dwood

Reaction score
Have owned mine two weeks. Driving home I noticed the red light. I knew 20 minutes before the charge was at 80%. Checked: said it was at 5% and needed charging immediately.

Plugged it into the cigarette charger. Checked 2 minutes later and it read 80%.

When I got home I cleaned the battery contacts gently with an eraser. Hope this solves the problem. Can only wait to see if it occurs again.

Anyone older than 50 can remember how you had to shake your flashlight to make it work. A previous cell phone I had 5 years ago started acting erratically. Called Verizon tech support. They said to clean the battery contacts with an eraser. That cleared-up the problem.