Erratic battery remaining bug

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has it been happening ever since you've gotten the droid, or has it only happened a couple of times? I know mine has done it once, but i've had mine since day 1.

Syndroid

Reaction score
I have had my Droid since late December ... the first time this happened was early January, but I didn't think it was anything until it happened again AND a friend of mine (who has had his since early December) reported the same bug. That is when I began to search the forum. Since then, it has happened to me several more times. It has also happened to my wife at least twice, the last time about a week ago (she has had her Droid since just before Christmas.)

I have not found a definite pattern. It seems to occur more often immediately or soon after charging, but it happened to me once when the battery voltage was below 4 Volts. The only thing I have discovered is that it is NOT related to low battery Voltage, and the warning is ALWAYS "5%."

Perhaps if we had an app that could give a histogram of battery Voltage, we could see if an intermittent dip in Voltage is the culprit. Maybe the software is coded to give the alert whenever the Voltage dips below a certain level, even for a very short period of time, and doesn't provide for a reset no matter how high the Voltage then becomes.

srothkin

Reaction score
I've had it happen twice while it was on the battery charger and the battery was really at 100% (and both times it said 5%). Unplugging and replugging the USB cable once or twice reset the battery readout back to 100% both times.

So I don't think it necessarily is related to battery voltage.

Syndroid

Reaction score
Well, it is definitely not related to the battery actually being discharged, but it dawned on me that there might be an intermittent drop in Voltage that is triggering the alarm ... or a virtual drop ... (the key to a good solution is a good diagnosis ... the beginning of a good diagnosis is concise reporting of the symptoms!)

kristoff125

Reaction score
I'd call moto and tell em my battery is acting funny, someone else on this thread, not sure where it is exactly said they had some questions about their battery life on the moto online chat, and they sent him a battery, he didn't even request one, free of charge.

Syndroid

Reaction score
Aaaand, it happened to me again yesterday. When I got up in the morning, the red light was flashing: 5% charge remaining, yet the Voltage was over 4.1. Turning the Droid off and then on revealed the same Voltage, but 100% charged. This is now officially annoying.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
This happened to me too! I Started a thread...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/tech-issues-bug-reports-suggestions/26718-charging-glitch.html

I use 'AppAlarm' to wake up every day to Pandora and I use 'Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson' to help me fall asleep.

Everything was normal when I went to bed, but when my alarm went off this morning and I went to pick up the phone (I leave it charging on my bed next to me), to turn off the alarm it was really hot and the battery was at 5%.

I turned off the alarm and looked at my battery temp widget and saw it was 107.3F. I've never had my droid go above 95F. Well, I unplugged the plug into the droid and the battery immediately jumped up to 100% and it started to cool off a few minutes later.

Just kind of weird, cause I've done this same routine every night for the past month and this is the first time it's happened.

Think I should stop with this routine? Anybody with AppAlarm or Deep Sleep had this happen to them before?

mrothschild

Reaction score
This too is happening to me. It actually caused me to wake up late for work. It looks like a lot of people are having this issue. Is there a fix?

Syndroid

Reaction score
Not that I have heard of. I know of several others who continue to have this issue.

captclueless

Reaction score
Happened to me for the fourth time for me since I got my droid. I seem to have this issue about once a month.

cjkellyjr

Reaction score
Had my Droid for about three months. I've had this problem twice. The first time it was at night and I thought it might be a legitimate alarm, but after charging for about 20 min. it was back to 100%. This morning, got the alarm right after disconnecting from overnight charge. Plugged back in for a few seconds and all was normal again.
Is anyone working on this bug?