Stock Thunderbolt rebooting randomly

amaury48

Reaction score
Hey, I am a owner of a Thunderbolt and contacted the Verizon support team. When I called I was having multiple reboots a day, but then they were cut back after disabling a few 3rd party apps as they instructed me to. If you have ANY 3rd party apps that control mobile data, disable it, etc you need to disable them. Apps such as JuiceDefender and LTE On/Off can cause rebooting because they edit the code in the phone and cause the phone to reboot once a certain unknown process occurs while these apps are active. It has to do with the fact that the LTE network now uses a SIM Card, and cause issues when mobile data is being altered. After I removed and disabled apps like those, it completely stopped any problems involving rebooting for me. So give that a try for the time being until they can come up with some sort of fix to stop these issues while 3rd party apps are active.

There may be some truth to what you are saying. I noticed once I flashed my rom and for a few days before I would restore any of my apps, I would not experience any of these reboots. For the longest time I had a feeling that they may be caused by an app or apps that are not playing nice with the rom. Just did a clean install of Liquid Gingersense 1.1 and did not re-install any Market Apps. Gonna run that way for a week or so and see what happens (just to prove a point). I believe I will not experience any reboots during this time.

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
Hey, I am a owner of a Thunderbolt and contacted the Verizon support team. When I called I was having multiple reboots a day, but then they were cut back after disabling a few 3rd party apps as they instructed me to. If you have ANY 3rd party apps that control mobile data, disable it, etc you need to disable them. Apps such as JuiceDefender and LTE On/Off can cause rebooting because they edit the code in the phone and cause the phone to reboot once a certain unknown process occurs while these apps are active. It has to do with the fact that the LTE network now uses a SIM Card, and cause issues when mobile data is being altered. After I removed and disabled apps like those, it completely stopped any problems involving rebooting for me. So give that a try for the time being until they can come up with some sort of fix to stop these issues while 3rd party apps are active.

so an app that's only a shortcut to a menu included in the phone could somehow cause a reboot? "While these apps are active", what does this even mean regarding LTE On/Off?

kykyth

Reaction score
so an app that's only a shortcut to a menu included in the phone could somehow cause a reboot? "While these apps are active", what does this even mean regarding LTE On/Off?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the phone was pretty much made to never have 4g turned off. I just noticed from my experience that I was having multiple reboots a day (5+) and noticed after I turned off any apps editing mobile data it was a instant change, and they stopped. One day after not experiencing a single reboot for 2 weeks; I decided to try using LTE On/Off to make my phone 3g because of the area I was in, literally 30 minutes after doing so I started having reboots again. Hopefully, when the new update comes out from HTC and Verizon they will provide us with some sort of fix for all of this, and maybe even a actual toggle widget that can turn it off.

Last edited:

DroidAx

Reaction score
Root it or wait for the so called update that keeps getting postboned. Its ironic that once you dump the vzw crap the phone works fine.. that seems to be the response from rooted users. This is %100 vzw fault. There answer is to dish out another $250. Any other electronics store will swap with out question. If the update doesnt do it contact the bbb and file a complaint they will make sure you are satisfied.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

wvdroidman

Reaction score
if they tell me I have to pay for a new phone I'll tell them I want out of my contract since they are not providing me with the service I paid for. The last straw was yesterday when the stupid phone switched to 1x!!!

JSouth

Reaction score
Hey, beardface! Relax!!!! It's just a phone! YOU chose to buy this phone. YOU chose to extend your contract. Deal with it! No one twisted your arm to make either of those choices. Dude just relax... It's a PHONE! Yes It does more than make calls... But it's just a phone! You actually as if all of us TB owners want to hang HTC and Verizon. Not all of us are unhappy with our TB's! My PHONE does more than some computers out there and FASTER! Just RELAX, the bugs will get ironed out and most of us will be happy... Then again there will still be those out there who will never be happy. Name ANY PHONE out there who has a 100% satisfied customer base??? Even the coveted iPhone has serious issues. Jesus... Quit whinning!!!!

Sent from my Thunderbolt w/2750 mAh battery!
Oh well good for you, your phone acts like it should.

But hey, guess what. Not all of ours do, and for 99.9% of us, the problems started with the May OTA. I did not have any rebooting problems with the device before then, and now I am averaging one every three days. Doesn't seem like a lot, until that reboot happens in the middle of a job interview. And as I said, Verizon/HTC BROKE the device with the update. The problem did not exist before and it does now. That is not "working out the bugs", that is creating the bugs themselves and not fixing them.

Yeah, that's a bit of a big deal to me.

As for the fix? Well, either let me get another top of the line phone like I paid for that doesn't have these problems that Verizon/HTC aren't fixing, or reimburse me 50% on my bill for the months that I have to deal with the problem that they created. Both options are reasonable and fair.

And for those who don't want to read about the problems... Here's an idea. DON'T COME TO THIS THREAD. What did you think you were going to see when you read the OP? "oooooh yay, I am totally fine with Verizon waiting 2 months to fix my phone that they broke... yaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Whatever

Hi Beardface, I'm sorry you are having issues with your phone... I know it can be very upsetting and inconvenient.

I have my phone working flawlessly and perfectly and know that you can have the same. I would very willing to help you resolve your issues. There is no reason you should have to continue being upset.... If you like I will fix it for you.

I have made this offer to many people. Several have taken me up on the offer and then there are the many who don't. Actually some then say they are fine with it the way it is... LOL, which simply means they enjoy complaining about nothing. No I am not saying this is you.... But I would be very happy to help you out.

My help will require you to set aside time to work with me over the phone. Also the ability to follow simple instructions that will require a little patience. We WILL root your phone in the process. If you are not comfortable doing this over the phone I can do it all for you myself if you send me the phone. (I've had 1 person from this forum do this).

If you are not interested and would like to simply keep things as they are that is fine. You being happy with your phone is all that matters.

P.S. No need to worry about voiding a warranty. If you ever need to take the phone to a store you can simply revert to stock with no root.... Warranty back in place!

I would love a bit of help rooting my tbolt..let me know if you can and when would be a good time. Thanks, Joey.

jseah

Reaction score
My TBolt is rebooting more and more now. It has been sitting on the table next to my computer all day today and I have seen it reboot itself anywhere from once every half hour to once every hour. I have also been in the middle of composing a text message and the phone reboots. Luckily, it hasn't rebooted itself while I was in the middle of a call.

The frequency of reboots has definitely increased over the past few days.

aka_rob

Reaction score
Mine reboots when the battery indicator changes from green to yellow, almost everyday. Kind of annoying.

13579vsU

Reaction score
I just spoke with a VZW tech and she informed me that HTC is coming out with a software update about mid-July that "should" fix this problem. The update was originally scheduled for the end of June; however, HTC came across other "issues" they needed to fix w/ this update as well, so they are thoroughly testing everything out before they release the update. If this problem is causing more issues/problems then you care to have w/ your phone, they have been authorized to replace it w/ either a new Thunderbolt or a completely different phone.

My Thunderbolt crashes 5-6 times a day. It's not rooted. It's not a combo of apps and it's a replacement one (received it at the beginning of June). My first Thunderbolt crashed, changed ringtones and notifications all the time on me. It would pick a song I had on my phone and play the ENTIRE song as a voicemail notification.

The update VZW recently had for the Thunderbolt also got rid of the option to send specific contacts straight to voicemail. I'm calling HTC directly to find out if that option is going to be added back w/ this next update. HTC can be contacted at 1-866-449-8358.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just spoke with a VZW tech and she informed me that HTC is coming out with a software update about mid-July that "should" fix this problem. The update was originally scheduled for the end of June; however, HTC came across other "issues" they needed to fix w/ this update as well, so they are thoroughly testing everything out before they release the update. If this problem is causing more issues/problems then you care to have w/ your phone, they have been authorized to replace it w/ either a new Thunderbolt or a completely different phone.

My Thunderbolt crashes 5-6 times a day. It's not rooted. It's not a combo of apps and it's a replacement one (received it at the beginning of June). My first Thunderbolt crashed, changed ringtones and notifications all the time on me. It would pick a song I had on my phone and play the ENTIRE song as a voicemail notification.

The update VZW recently had for the Thunderbolt also got rid of the option to send specific contacts straight to voicemail. I'm calling HTC directly to find out if that option is going to be added back w/ this next update. HTC can be contacted at 1-866-449-8358.

Wouldn't hold my breath on the update, VZW and HTC have constantly dropped the ball with the TB so, why would it stop now? The only fix thus far is to root and flash the radio manually. Sad, I know.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

DroidStang

Reaction score
Still waiting for the update, why taking so long to get out? Also wonder if update fixs another issue along with the rebooting, anyone else ever notice, good coverage, but mail hanging in outbox and no updates for apps, but when you restart, mail sends, mail arrives, and there is 5 apps need updated?