Stock Restore Milestone A854

keets

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was hoping for maybe a little help. I recently began playing with customizing my milestone purchased from Bluegrass Cellular. I've successfully rooted the phone with Universal Androot and used Rom Manager to install Bugless Beast V0.5. So far I've been really satisfied with it. Now I'm wondering, what if I need to go back to stock. If I can't, no big deal.

This is what it came with.

Kernal Version 2.6.29-omap1
Build number Miler_X1_00.26.0
Baseband C_01.07.00R
Android 2.1 Update 1

I've backed up my original ROM and can load it, remove Rom Manager, and unroot it, but I believe I will still have Clockworkmod recovery instead of the factory restore. I've seen it mentioned to flash an appropriate SBF and I see the post about the Cellular South SBF which looks like it has the same software installed but I'm not 100 percent certain if I'm heading in the right direction. Can anyone lead me into the right direction or just save me time and say it can't be done right now. lol

Thanks everyone

boostedhonda

Reaction score
Yes, just use rsd lite to flash the stock .sbf file to go back to stock.

OP
K

keets

Reaction score
Quick question. I'm really considering restoring to factory. I've found the Miler_X1_00260_Miler_CDMA_BP.SBF and RSDLite. If I flash this file, will I need to take my phone back to my cellular provider and have them reconfigure it to access their towers or will it work right off the bat?

I'm very much a newb at this cell stuff. lol. :)

boostedhonda

Reaction score
It will work just fine, just flash and go.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

boostedhonda

Reaction score
Just wondering though why are you wanting to go back to stock? Root has so many advantages, but everyone has their preferences.

OP
K

keets

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of getting another phone. If I do, I need this one back to stock.

boostedhonda

Reaction score
No problem and oh alright, that's understandable.

Last edited:

lunchbox427

Reaction score
this sucks...

I know I'm kinda tardy to the party, but I am also with Bluegrass cellular. I rooted with universal androot and used clockworkmods to flash to bugless beast. It was working fantastic after I was able to use voice command to edit the apn to bluegrass settings for mms. I went back into rom manager and under the bugless beast options was a download that was listed as updates and something or other. Thinking it would update my rom and make it cooler, it actually killed out all my apn, evdo, and even 1XRTT mobile network settings. I can call and sms but no data whatsoever. My main question is this: if I find rsd lite and the above sbf, do you think it would get the mobile network and everything working again? I can't use data at all unless on wifi. The mic is also going out and I need to try to get it back as close as possible to factory default so I can get them to send it to motrola to hopefully be covered under warranty. Please help!

lunchbox427

Reaction score
I know I'm kinda tardy to the party, but I am also with Bluegrass cellular. I rooted with universal androot and used clockworkmods to flash to bugless beast. It was working fantastic after I was able to use voice command to edit the apn to bluegrass settings for mms. I went back into rom manager and under the bugless beast options was a download that was listed as updates and something or other. Thinking it would update my rom and make it cooler, it actually killed out all my apn, evdo, and even 1XRTT mobile network settings. I can call and sms but no data whatsoever. My main question is this: if I find rsd lite and the above sbf, do you think it would get the mobile network and everything working again? I can't use data at all unless on wifi. The mic is also going out and I need to try to get it back as close as possible to factory default so I can get them to send it to motrola to hopefully be covered under warranty. Please help!

I was able to flash the .sbf with rsd lite; and was able to find Motorola PMD which is the pst tool to flash network settings into the phone. Problem is: even though it's now stock A854 again, all of the network settings have been cleared out of it and it just continually reboots as long as PMD is running instead of allowing PMD to access the phone's memory like it's supposed to. PMD won't work if you have the phone in bootloader mode, so any ideas on how to get it stable enough to keep it from boot looping with PMD so I can flash my network settings back into it?

OP
K

keets

Reaction score
Crap. I just got an e-mail this morning seeing your reply. I was going to write and warn you against using it. Even though he said it should work perfectly, I began to doubt that it would keep my network settings so I never attempted a wipe. I just decided to keep the phone.

I was going to suggest going back to a backup. So i guess you now have no access into rom manager or clockwork mod?

Since you've taken the leap, I'll go ahead and tag along and help anyway i can because it will be good to know a solution.

OP
K

keets

Reaction score
One quick question. I've never had success getting the apn edited. I also used voice to access it, but when i manually typed in the settings, after a certain setting, the apn i created disappeared. Happened constantly. Have any idea what I did wrong?

Also, I can't seem to find any information on Motorola PDM. With everything I have read, seems everyone uses Motorola CDMA Workshop.

Last edited:

lunchbox427

Reaction score
PMD is an enhanced version of RSD for newer Motorola models. Anyway, I can get my hands on a new A854 with all fresh and good settings. buddy of mine has one that he isn't planning on rooting. Problem is, I so far can't figure out how to backup the good firmware with either PMD or RSD Lite so I can post to flash on the damaged one. My theory is: If I can create a backup of the firmware from a non-rooted, working Bluegrass Milestone, we can install that .sbf using RSD lite to fully flash all network settings, original recovery environment, etc and convert it back to stock. This would create a safety net so that we could experiment and as long as it wasn't bricked, you could just reflash the bluegrass firmware and, voila, back to square one.

I am having the same apn problems. When I first rooted and used rom manager by clockworkmods to go to bugless beast, I was able to change the apn for mms without it disappearing. had evdo internet and mms working. I installed an "update" for bugless beast from rom manager and that's when it kicked out all of my evdo, apn, and internet settings. Then when i flashed that CSouth .sbf, it killed all my network settings period. I was able to get in and change all the settings in the MDN programming menu (by comparison to my buddie's) back to what Bluegrass is supposed to be, and had them update my prl over the air. CAUTION: MIN SETTING MAY OR MAY NOT MATCH THE MDN SETTING!

I have been looking all over to try to figure out how to make an image or copy of a working milestone's .sbf and can't figure out how to do it. I'm pretty sure bluegrass won't have it because I think that motorola puts all that in the phones before they send them to the carriers....I think. I doubt they would just give it to me even if they have it, but i'm afraid to ask because I don't believe they support any software tampering, such as rooting.

lunchbox427

Reaction score
I was able to get my hands on my friend's Bluegrass Milestone and took a pic of the about screen w/ my cam. Now I have the correct version numbers for the kernel and build to try to look them up. Seems the CS build is a slightly earlier version of build, but the kernel is WAAAY off.

I found another thread on these forums where some guys were talking about building sbf's. However they are still limited to the few kernel versions for the VZW Droid, not anything I can use... Might be worth looking at though.

I at least now have working voice and sms without roaming, and that will have to do for now, but I have got to try to figure out how to get my data settings back in because the techs at the stores said it won't stay powered on enough to flash the evdo and other network settings back into it. It keeps rebooting itself, same thing as when I hook it up to the same flashing program on my pc...

truck10

Reaction score
I have the newest milestone from bluegrass. I wanted to update to Ginger bread 2.3 rooted? Is this possible? If so where can I download it? Also I need to back up my stock firmware incase I need to return the phone.

Last edited:

b00ty_m4n

Reaction score
So what is the newest milestone from BG the X or what doesn't it have froyo 2.2?

Sent from my A854 using DroidForums