Stock Gmail client is the worst...

jeremywood30

Reaction score
Why has Google made the worst email client on their newest o/s? I exchanged an iPhone 4S for the G-Next and have to say the email client on the iPhone is friendlier.

Is there any way to make the email client better, or is there a better app?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Not sure of there is something else, i'm happy with it, i set it up through a pc and all the settings sync to the phone, folders, filters, everything..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It lets me check my e-mail, and lets me respond to e-mails, I don't see how it can be bad. You can try a 3rd party app like K9.

OP
J

jeremywood30

Reaction score
Let me explain what I don't like. Maybe it's user error on my part.

I open Gmail, tap on new email, doesn't show any photos...I have to tap a button every time I get an email to show all photos, if it's larger than the screen...it doesn't size it to fit the screen.

No settings to change this...?

Reaction score
As far as the size of the pictures I am not aware of any fixes.

However, when you open an email and you touch the button that says "show pics", the button immediately changes to "always show ", touch it again and your phone will remember to always display pictured from that sender. Of course you would have to do it one time for each sender until eventually they are all remembered.

I assume they do this for security/ speed purposes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

PhishyKris

Reaction score
keep in mind that this is very early on in the 4.0 dev cycle. I'm sure there will be improvements. I loved the EXCH client email on TBolt only to find much of the functionality is missing on GN. I'll live though because this phone screams.

Nubbie

Reaction score
I hope less people switch over from iphones so I dont have to hear about this garbage. if you dont like gmail, you can go back to your AOL account.

turdbogls

Reaction score
the one thing that does bother me is the pictures being too large to view. and there really isn't anything we can do to fix that. kinda sucks.
other than that, i think the Gmail app is one of the better apps around, especially once you get used to it and how it is set up.

prowler85

Reaction score
Personally, it works for me just fine. I do wish they would add pinch/zoom, though not sure it's possible. Sometimes the text in an email is just so small it's difficult to read. On a web page I just zoom in. No fix in the Gmail app except to temporarily change font size or find a magnifying glass.

OP
J

jeremywood30

Reaction score
I hope less people switch over from iphones so I dont have to hear about this garbage. if you dont like gmail, you can go back to your AOL account.

Here's the deal...Nubbie! I've been using Gmail since it was in beta. I started with the T-Mobile G1. I switched over to the iPhone 4S...because of the crazy people...saying it's all great!

All I'm referencing here, is ICS Gmail client is a bad chemistry spill. Google need's to revert back to their root's with the earlier O/S client of Gmail. Plus, I was simply asking for some help with the ICS version or if there was an alternative to this.

x25064

Reaction score
Here's the deal...Nubbie! I've been using Gmail since it was in beta. I started with the T-Mobile G1. I switched over to the iPhone 4S...because of the crazy people...saying it's all great!

All I'm referencing here, is ICS Gmail client is a bad chemistry spill. Google need's to revert back to their root's with the earlier O/S client of Gmail. Plus, I was simply asking for some help with the ICS version or if there was an alternative to this.

The so-called problem you speak of, existed in all iterations of Gmail. I can't remember when it ever actually showed pictures, and frankly, I wouldn't want it to if its going to affect the loading speed. The only reason I see this as an issue is if you like those pointless email forwards loaded with 90 pictures.

If you really want something to ***** about with gmail, how about how the native app doesn't let you save attachments.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Why has Google made the worst email client on their newest o/s? I exchanged an iPhone 4S for the G-Next and have to say the email client on the iPhone is friendlier.

Is there any way to make the email client better, or is there a better app?

HA! The client on the iPhone sucks for Gmail, and is about as basic as it gets. I use it along with my Nexus every day, and there is no comparison. Even the new Gmail app for iOS is better than it.

The default Android Gmail client works great, and has the best Gmail integration.