Still getting drop-outs on lastest update.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Until such time as we ever hear what the actual issues are, we can only speculate. But I am in the "It's the network" camp. More specifically, I think it's something misconfigured at some of the cell sites that doesn't play nice with Motorola's LTE chipset. Why else would it be such a hit-or-miss issue for people? I have personally spoken with other Bionic owners in my immediate area and none of them have had data issues. One of my Bionic-owning friends did state that he started having the issue when he went out of town for vacation, however upon arrival back home, the problem no longer existed. This is on the 5.5.886 firmware.

Also, people report in these forums about how their data issues have disappeared seemingly overnight. Why would this happen? Because most likely, VZW identified the issue with their tower and fixed it silently.

I think it's an issue similar to the issues you see with some home wifi equipment, where certain wifi chipsets don't play nice with the router due to a slight incompatibility.

We do have to remember that Motorola's LTE chipset is a relatively late comer to the game, and didn't exist when the equipment that runs the LTE network was deployed.

OP
H

Human_Droid

Reaction score
I'm not sure if these numbers below on each device are all the same. Are they firmware versions? If so, they are from my Bionic.

I don't know anything about what antenna is being used in it.

Here are some numbers I got from my Bionic:

Baseband Version: CDMA_N_03.1C.57R, ltedc_u_05.15.01

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Human_Droid, that is your baseband revision. Which means that is the version number of the firmware that controls the radio equipment in your device. This number will be the same across Bionics running the same Verizon software package. Yours is the correct baseband for 5.5.893, which is the version people are getting with the soak test.

OP
H

Human_Droid

Reaction score
If the latest 4G LTE devices were using the same antennas than it would narrow a few things down to the dropping issues whether hardware, driver, or software based, no?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Until such time as we ever hear what the actual issues are, we can only speculate. But I am in the "It's the network" camp. More specifically, I think it's something misconfigured at some of the cell sites that doesn't play nice with Motorola's LTE chipset. Why else would it be such a hit-or-miss issue for people? I have personally spoken with other Bionic owners in my immediate area and none of them have had data issues. One of my Bionic-owning friends did state that he started having the issue when he went out of town for vacation, however upon arrival back home, the problem no longer existed. This is on the 5.5.886 firmware.

Also, people report in these forums about how their data issues have disappeared seemingly overnight. Why would this happen? Because most likely, VZW identified the issue with their tower and fixed it silently.

I think it's an issue similar to the issues you see with some home wifi equipment, where certain wifi chipsets don't play nice with the router due to a slight incompatibility.

We do have to remember that Motorola's LTE chipset is a relatively late comer to the game, and didn't exist when the equipment that runs the LTE network was deployed.

we coud likely debate this forever and never know the exact cause of the issues,
but using your logic, i still put it on moto. the network is existing, why would they use a chip or modem that doesnt play nice with what your intending to use it on.
its like moto saying, were using this equipment, fix your network so it works with our equipment... thats not vzw's fault imo, even though you may be right and vzw is left to fix something that wasnt broken....

ripper2860

Reaction score
we coud likely debate this forever and never know the exact cause of the issues,
but using your logic, i still put it on moto. the network is existing, why would they use a chip or modem that doesnt play nice with what your intending to use it on.
its like moto saying, were using this equipment, fix your network so it works with our equipment... thats not vzw's fault imo, even though you may be right and vzw is left to fix something that wasnt broken....

The 4G network is NEW and not everywhere yet and it is in a state where VZ is still turning-up, tweaking, and tuning -- as can be seen by all of the localized and regional outages reported on this very forum. I too had a Charge and it was experiencing the same Data Drop issues as my Bionic. Some folks have issues and others do not -- even across differing phone platforms. Either the QC and variance in quality from Bionic to Bionic, and Charge to Charge, etc., SUCKS or results vary based on where the owner and their phone is located.

It ain't just the phone. And if it were -- VZ is ultimately responsible for testing on their network, vetting the phone and signing on for it to be produced for them and sold through their stores and authorized resellers. If I were a VZ and Moto was giving my network a black-eye, Moto would be eating every farkin' Bionic... :D

And yet they are not. They keep selling them. ;)

dlcramer

Reaction score
Not debating, just stating my observation. Im stock from launch day not a soak tester. In Phoenix Az. Had minor drops (1 a week or so) when i first started. It got worse over time (had to install an antenna reset app to get 3g back when switching every time) near Halloween then better until the last 2 weeks where i HAVE TO do a battery pull to get 3g back after on wifi. From my experience it seems like its both the phone and the network having problems. I can see them doing what happens all the time. Both moto and verizon are working on a "fix" separate from each other only to have it cause more problems.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
there is defiantly a serious failure in the testing process, i agree...

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Sitting in the same chair comparing the same phone before and after the update I noticed a difference in the network right away. The update helped out a lot with the radios in the phone.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Human_Droid, I posted something similar about a week and a half ago. Same as you, completely stock. I also noticed a recent dramatic improvement in the network, drops have really minimized. I actually think Verizon is making some tweaks. If the ota fixes the other listed issues, my Bionic will rock!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ssharro

Reaction score
NO Improvement After Update

I drive from 3G to 4G areas. My drops in date connection are fairly infrequent but super-annoying. I have not seen one iota of improvement after the update. It's a shame because for me, otherwise this is a dream phone.

greggor01

Reaction score
No improvement....

I've had no improvement with the latest update. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse. I've been getting random dropped data connection when in full 3G (not 4G) data areas for no apparent reason. The only thing that will fix it is a wi-fi toggle, an airplane mode toggle or a power toggle.

Like one of the others that posted in this topic, I feel that it's a real shame that this is happening, because aside from this issue, this phone has been GREAT!

Mr.Dorsey3157

Reaction score
Was in Verizon store yesterday rep with Bionic says that Verizon is updating the switches in our area. Whatever that is its supposed to improve 4G service. This leads me to believe that it was a Verizon tower issue all along. My second Bionic is bring shipped to me. I hope I don't have any further issues I really like this phone.

jdparise

Reaction score
I have had a thunderbolt before I got the bionic. With the thunderbolt I have never had a problem with dropouts. Its a problem with the bionic.

portermac

Reaction score
My wives thunderbolt has had data drops. The razr, revolution, bionic ask have had it. My bionic had it until we got 4g turned on in my area. Now I have had a perfect bionic for 3 months now.
Trust me its the towers.