Still getting drop-outs on lastest update.

Human_Droid

Reaction score
EDIT: a little bit about my device first. I've never done ANYthing to it. It's completely stock.
Android Version: 2.3.4
System Version: 5.5.893
WT-1.3.0-108 DBN-21
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-g68606e6
Build Number: 5.5.1_84 DBN-62
Baseband Version: CDMA_N_03.1C.57R, ltedc_u_05.15.01

Anyone else still getting drop-outs? The network seems a little more reliable compared to pre-update but I am still getting drop-outs where I know I shouldn't.

idk5

Reaction score
i am not getting drop outs but i have gotten the "black screen of death" a few minutes ago and my phone still does random reboots
'

gsbjackson

Reaction score
I'm also getting an occassional dropout when switching from WiFi to Cell, but if you wait about 30 secs, the 4G or 3G kicks in... not instantaneously, but better than not at all.

Reaction score
Have any of you thought that the data issues are more to do with Verizon than Motorola?

ripper2860

Reaction score
Have any of you thought that the data issues are more to do with Verizon than Motorola?

I too think it's more an VZ network issue, IMHO. I think Moto is making adjustments to the radio files to help mitigate the issues the VZ/LTE network is having, but I truly believe it is far more the network than the phone. I'm afraid Moto may have done all it can at this point to help "tweak" the phone to better deal with the network issues via the 5.5.893 build; however, it is likely now squarely on VZ to fix the issues. Too many things point to it NOT being a Moto only issue ...

1. Multiple VZ phone MFG's have the issue to varying degrees.
2. Users have stated that they have issues in some areas but when they travel to other areas the issues either cease or are dramatically reduced.
3. Some users that reported having severe issues suddenly improved dramatically or stopped having issues, with no action taken on their part (i.e. no new phone, no ROM flash or update being applied to their phone, etc.).

Sounds like Network to me. And VZ is letting Moto take the heat while they work on their network behind the scene. :/

gsbjackson

Reaction score
Agree... as the original commercials stated... "it's the Network!" I'm thinking the push to 4G was premature and they are fixing the plane while flying it, hoping we won't notice.

I'd be surprised if they win the "best customer support" cellular service provider award again next year after this poorly orchestrated rollout of 4G. Someone should be fired!

OP
H

Human_Droid

Reaction score
With the update. Isn't it ICS?

And since it improved since my recent version, wouldn't it be the Android OS? (not moto?)

dags5000

Reaction score
No its not ICS that is android 4.0. This was a minor maintenance update

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

crxlsturbo

Reaction score

Tbh its more Motorola's part. I used to have the bionic on launch day. Getting drop outs a lot. So I went through 3 phones just so I can try and have Verizon switch me to a new phone. Didn't help. So I used one of my 2 upgrades that I had available. Read nothing but good reviews about the Rezound. I got the Rezound about 1 week ago while I am waiting for the gnex. I haven't gotten 1 drop out yet. Goes to show that its more of Motorola part than Verizon. basically the bionic has a pos antenna in it.

Sent from my HTC Rezound 4g LTE

mamawm

Reaction score
here's my 2cents. when i first got the bionic on release day everything just worked. we did not have 4g at that time. when i left home and cut off wifi i had to go several miles down the road and then 3g would connect. an area near home got 4g in october, the same weekend as the nationwwide outage. after that when i would leave home and cut off wifi nothing but a reboot would allow me to connect to 3g or any kind of data. most frustrating. then just before thanksgiving, suddenly it all changed again. now i cut off wifi and instantly connect to 3g. yeah! i haven't changed anything on my phone, still stock, unrooted. i think verizon updated something on their end.

as to the random reboots, during the first 2 weeks i had the phone it happened 4 times. i was following the forums so i knew that a fix was coming and decided to live with it. then i had a problem with a few apps that just weren't working like i thought they should so i unstalled them. one of the was handcent (it wouldn't hold my settings) and a couple of games. and guess what, haven't had a reboot since. i believe that a lot of the reboot issues are directly related to installed apps either not playing nice with the bionic or not playing nice with themselves, i.e. 2 apps conflicting with each other.

all said and done, i love my bionic and as soon as i get that update and the camera is faster it will for sure be my perfect phone.

Derekweb

Reaction score
Agree. The update improved the network switching in fringe 4G areas, but it still is not always a seamless hand off.

Reaction score
Agree. The update improved the network switching in fringe 4G areas, but it still is not always a seamless hand off.

Again, it's probably more to do with the network. Verizon are constantly updating the towers. Until 4G LTE is stable, we'll have to live with some data drops. I have friends with the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Charge, etc., and they suffer the same data issues.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I too think it's more an VZ network issue, IMHO. I think Moto is making adjustments to the radio files to help mitigate the issues the VZ/LTE network is having, but I truly believe it is far more the network than the phone. I'm afraid Moto may have done all it can at this point to help "tweak" the phone to better deal with the network issues via the 5.5.893 build; however, it is likely now squarely on VZ to fix the issues. Too many things point to it NOT being a Moto only issue ...

1. Multiple VZ phone MFG's have the issue to varying degrees.
2. Users have stated that they have issues in some areas but when they travel to other areas the issues either cease or are dramatically reduced.
3. Some users that reported having severe issues suddenly improved dramatically or stopped having issues, with no action taken on their part (i.e. no new phone, no ROM flash or update being applied to their phone, etc.).

Sounds like Network to me. And VZ is letting Moto take the heat while they work on their network behind the scene. :/

i tend to disagree,
i have a charge, bionic, and razr also and the charge works like a champ, always has, where both moto phones fail...