Stepping down from Droid to Multimedia 3G

Droolsport

Reaction score
I know this is a Android based forum but I figured some may have good input on this subject. The Droid X is way more phone then I need or want to pay for anymore. Got cought up in the hype had to have one coming from a total dumb phone. I dont use or need most of the features and my wife has a BB so we can always use hers to pull up stuff. I went in to look at the Non smart 3G phones and was pretty diasappointed. Of course I am spoiled by my Droid X interface and screen but the next best option I could see was the Samsung Reality. Not big fan of LG, old phone was LG and dropped calls all the time.

Are there any new 3g non smart phones coming out or will we ever see a Android 3G non smart phone?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be some new 3g non smart phones as we get closer to the holiday season. As for a non smartphone android phone, that will never happen. Smartphones are phones that run an os, and android is an os. So by definition, every phone that runs android is a smartphone. So every android phone is gonna be required to have the 30 dollar data plan.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
D

Droolsport

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

So the OS needs data access at all times to work? Seems like you could set it up to only access data when needed. AKA download Email every 4 hours then turn off etc... I think its a sham that they say you have to have unlimited data to run a smart phone. Yes maybe at its full capacity but I only need data time on occasion. I bet most are like that but dont admit it. Prob only use 25% of thier smart phone capability or data needs. I can run plenty of applications on my computer without data ie internet access.

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
You can probably switch to a tiered data plan when verizon makes it official.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It actually doesn't need it at all times. What you're saying about setting it to check only every 4 hours would work, but it basically comes down to $$$. Android is much more capable than the proprietary os's on the non smart phones so it's much easier for a user to use more data. Rather than have a fixed low price based on usage they would just rather charge us for unlimited. Eventually data will be tiered so it may be a little cheaper for someone who doesn't use much data but I don't think it will be a significant difference. At&t is proof of that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk