Static while on phone

kevind

Reaction score
Anyone getting pretty bad static while on the phone? When no one is talking, it is really quiet with no static at all. Right when the person on the other line starts talking, I hear a lot of static and I have to ask them to repeat themselves. This is while they are on their landline but happens when they use their cell phone too. It doesn't happen with just one person, but everyone. I also tried *228 but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

a73

Reaction score
same happens to me, clear when they say nothing, but a background crackling sound when they start (and stop) speaking. I tried reprogramming it and did a battery pull, with no success. I took it to 1 Verizon wireless store and they couldn't reproduce it in the (noisy) store so they couldn't do anything for me. I visited another verizon store, thinking the coverage there would be different. They guy said it was due to debris in the earpiece mesh, and he cleaned it out with a toothbrush and air blower and told me to try it, and of course in the store there was no problem, so I thought that was the solution. But then 1 hour later, static again. Frustrating because I can't seem to get the verizon people to believe me, as I want them to just swap out the phone for a new one. Might try another store. Would be curious if anyone else has had this problem as well.

rdalemercer

Reaction score
*228, option 1 AND option 2....

...doing both of these and a battery pull actually eliminated my static problem. It was so bad that I had to use another phone to finish the call that I was originally on...but no problems since I did this.

I hope this helps?

OP
K

kevind

Reaction score
I've done those but it hasn't helped much.

ness180

Reaction score
Any new solutions to this? For the past month now I've been experiencing a distinct static-like clicking sound whenever I'm on the phone talking to someone. The person I'm talking to can't hear it, just me.

I've tried reprogramming(*228) , changing the outgoing voice codec(EVRC to EVRC-B), and unchecked the "Enhanced voice privacy" setting. None of those worked. I haven't done a battery pull though...

a73

Reaction score
My solution is to use a bluetooth headset for any conversation that lasts more than a minute or two. It's more comfortable than putting the phone against your ear anyway. And the sound is just as good with Bluetooth, but minus the static, which I still hear when I do use the phone's earpiece. Overall I am fairly happy with this solution, though it would be great if my phone's earpiece did not have static. Maybe it will be fixed with the 2.1 update, but I'm not optimistic.

v8turboblazer

Reaction score
"same happens to me, clear when they say nothing, but a background crackling sound when they start (and stop) speaking" this is still going on for me i live in mi. where have all of you had the problem? i know many other people with the same problem..

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
My wife's Moto Droid has same issues. Anyone have a fix? We're trying a bt earpiece, but it's pretty pathetic that a phone maker can't make a quality phone for as technologically advanced as they are. They couldn't spring for the $.03 ear phone membrane and went for the $.01??? Don't know the exact costs, but it can't be high. They make greeting cards that sound better than my wife's earphone and it's a "new" phone...