Static IP for Specific SSID

mattXdezzi

Reaction score
I am currently using EasySMS (donate version) which allows me to send/receive SMS messages from my browser. (If you are familiar with this app skip to the next paragraph) I have a chrome tab pinned so that the interface loads every time I open my browser. This is done by accessing a specific port on my device via WIFI through a web browser.

The problem is that my phone's dynamic IP address changes every time I connect to my home router, therefore the address that the pinned tab looks for will change as well. Is it possible to set up a static IP ONLY on my home network. I do not want to set up a static IP on all SSIDs because I believe that will not work on my university's network.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

mewshi

Reaction score
You set IP address rules through your router, not your phone. Log in to your router and look around -- it varies between models, so I can't really tell you much about the specifics. You will probably need the MAC address for the wifi device in your phone. Can't remember how to look that up from the phone, but most routers will tell you if you look a bit (I know anything running tomato firmware will tell you this with one click).

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
M

mattXdezzi

Reaction score
Im not sure that's correct. From what I have found online most routers will automatically assign each network component an dynamic IP unless the COMPONENT asks for a static IP. I havent found anything in my router's (Linksys WRT54G2) config that assigns static internal IP adresses.

I know setting up a static IP on the Droid2 is done through Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi Settings > Advanced > Use Static IP. I am assuming that this setting is for all networks that the device connects to, which is not what I want.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Im not sure that's correct. From what I have found online most routers will automatically assign each network component an dynamic IP unless the COMPONENT asks for a static IP. I havent found anything in my router's (Linksys WRT54G2) config that assigns static internal IP adresses.

The advice given is correct.

Yes the router will assign a different IP if that's how you have it set, but some will allow you to set an IP per MAC address, which means every time that MAC address requests an IP it gets the same one, which is the same as a static IP, it does not have to be requested by the device.

I have the same router you have. It doesn't allow you to do it but you can set the lease for the IP. Set it for the max lease time (9999) and as long as you use it regularly you will get the same IP every time.

Last edited:
OP
M

mattXdezzi

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Ill try it and see if it works

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App