Stand Alone MP3 Player iPod Like Anyone?

comk4ver

Reaction score
:icon_eek:Would anyone agree with me that an MP3 stand alone device using the android system would be nice to have? I think so anyone know if this is a potential new device to be created with google? I think it would be nice to see Google out do Apple on their own created device... After all we already have tablets and phones why not?

cpjr

Reaction score
I kinda doubt it, but I guess you never know.

Apple and I guess Microsoft have such a huge head start on that.....I dont think it would even be worth Google to try.

PS- And in all honesty, aside from the people that just hate Apple..."because"....ipods are very nice.

johnnycool001

Reaction score
I have a itouch. I got it way before I had a smart phone. I only use to mate with the sound system in my truck. Ipod is the only device that will give you onscreen controls on my head unit. I used to play games on the Itouch not since my droid, now it is just a hard drive for my music. If the get the radio manufactures on board sure thay have a shot. and I would get one, but I don't think that is going to happen.

jloya

Reaction score
my x has replaced my stand alone mp3 player

my ipod touch was 32 gb, my x is 32 gb plus pandora, slacker etc :)

hooking up to my car i guess the ipod touch does win by a few small points because of he direct interface which provides outstanding quality

well with the X i just hook up via bluetooth and the sound is still good, not as good as it could be (compared to a hard wires ipod) but it definitely sounds good

now I have pandora while driving along with my music library, I can also access all my music from home and stream it through the phone...and since its bluetooth anyone in the car can be the "dj"

not much need for my touch anymore....

jaxjaggywires

Reaction score
Frankly, some work would need to be done for the default Android music player to match what the iOS player does. I would love for them to do that...it would mean my music player would be more robust than it is right now.

debdroid1a

Reaction score

Apple and I guess Microsoft have such a huge head start on that.....I dont think it would even be worth Google to try.

PS- And in all honesty, aside from the people that just hate Apple..."because"....ipods are very nice.

You forgot SanDisk in your list.
SanDisk has tried and succeeded. They have 4 different MP3 players out right now. They just updated their Fuze to the Fuze + with a 16gb model and you can add a 32gb card to it (or whatever size of micro card you want).

SanDisk's MP3s are nice. I have a Fuze. I bought it because at first I didn't want to spend the money on an iPod (way overpriced for what they do not have), and found it to be superior with more features then the iPod Nano at the time (it competes with those) in my opinion. Then as my coworkers got iPods, I found out why I really like my SanDisk Fuze.

Yes iPods are pretty nice. The touch is nice (a coworker has that).

Although lately I've just been using my Droid 1. I put my favorite music on it or listen to Pandora. My music was easy to transfer to my Droid because of my SanDisk device, no special music player needed (like iTunes) to mess with. I do use my Fuze for relaxing or to help me go to sleep and as my "stereo" as I don't really have a decent one.

So yes, Google could do this and still make some money. Especially if they did a tough type device like the iTouch, I think those would sell more.
Although, like you said, I don't know if they really want to try. Partly because phones are becoming the All-in-One devices for people (that's what I do like about my Droid).

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
:icon_eek:Would anyone agree with me that an MP3 stand alone device using the android system would be nice to have? I think so anyone know if this is a potential new device to be created with google? I think it would be nice to see Google out do Apple on their own created device... After all we already have tablets and phones why not?

Why limit yourself? Convergence is where it's going, and for good reason. 1 device for multiple functions is the way to go. Besides, Android is about the cloud. Without connectivity, what's special? With my DX, I can not only download music, I can grab album art etc, WITHOUT having to tether to a PC. And if I like a song, I can Youtube the music video, in HD. I can do all this while 20 miles from town, while riding my bike on the trails. And if I get thirsty, I can pull up the nearest gas station. My iPod is nothing but a backup hard drive these days. It never leaves the house.

cpjr

Reaction score

You forgot SanDisk in your list.
SanDisk has tried and succeeded. They have 4 different MP3 players out right now. They just updated their Fuze to the Fuze + with a 16gb model and you can add a 32gb card to it (or whatever size of micro card you want).

SanDisk's MP3s are nice. I have a Fuze. I bought it because at first I didn't want to spend the money on an iPod (way overpriced for what they do not have), and found it to be superior with more features then the iPod Nano at the time (it competes with those) in my opinion. Then as my coworkers got iPods, I found out why I really like my SanDisk Fuze.

Yes iPods are pretty nice. The touch is nice (a coworker has that).

Although lately I've just been using my Droid 1. I put my favorite music on it or listen to Pandora. My music was easy to transfer to my Droid because of my SanDisk device, no special music player needed (like iTunes) to mess with. I do use my Fuze for relaxing or to help me go to sleep and as my "stereo" as I don't really have a decent one.

So yes, Google could do this and still make some money. Especially if they did a tough type device like the iTouch, I think those would sell more.
Although, like you said, I don't know if they really want to try. Partly because phones are becoming the All-in-One devices for people (that's what I do like about my Droid).

Yeah I guess. Apple has over a 75% market share on mp3 players, while Microsoft and Sandisk are both only around 5% or so....and the difference being made up of everbody else.

So, I think with the trend of media phones and the capacity they can hold. Its just a matter of time before mp3 players will be less and less useful or needed.

I think it would be a dead end road for anybody jumping in right now.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I just did a google search and it looks like some are working on this, unless there are some available that I couldn't find.

I think this would be nice, these little devices work good as stereo systems if you don't have one (like I don't and mentioned above).

Some kids who won't get a smart phone due to data charges, would love these.
Those who don't want a smart phone but an MP3 payer would like these.
People who go to fitness centers that don't allow photo taking or video recording devices on their premises, could use these.

With the amount of Apples MP3 players selling, this would be a lucrative market to get into.

Here's some I found,
Creative Zen Android MP3 Player

Samsung Android MP3 Player

Phillips Go Gear Android MP3 player

Samsung Galaxy Android MP3 Player

I'm sure there are more (thought I read somewhere an Archos Android MP3 player, but maybe that was the tablet) and probably newer versions, some of these were announced a few months ago...

Detonation

Reaction score

See the Samsung Galaxy Player 50