SSID and other WiFi issues with my DInc

Bearcats

Reaction score
Hey, just got my DINC yesterday and noticed two issues that I am hoping are just operator errors. 8)

[1]
I dont broadcast my SSID on my home network as a layer of security. I have noticed that if I dont, the DINC will not see it nor try to connect to it. Is there a way to connect to non-broadcasting SSID WiFi's with the DINC because I would like to stop broadcasting my SSID? Usually there is a "Connect anyway" type function when configuring a connection.

[2]
At work we have four routers broadcasting their SSID and are OPEN networks. My laptop picks them up however my DINC does not. I do have look for open networks enabled and the WiFi is operating as I dont make any changes to the phone and it picks up my home and lunch WiFi's without a hitch. I have also hand typed the SSID into network configuration and it still cant find these open networks. My two friends iPhones (one 3 and one 4) pick them up also.... :(

Thanks!

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you rooted using wireless tether or using Verizon's paid wifi hotspot service?

OP
Bearcats

Bearcats

Reaction score
Are you rooted using wireless tether or using Verizon's paid wifi hotspot service?

Phone is not rooted, yet. Might take me a few more days to have enough time to sit down and carefully go through the instructions.

I am not tethering or paying for a Verizon service. Just trying to use my existing router and hooking into generic routers at work.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Totally misunderstood your question- my bad. So you basically just need help troubleshooting wifi in general (with hidden and open networks)?

OP
Bearcats

Bearcats

Reaction score
Totally misunderstood your question- my bad. So you basically just need help troubleshooting wifi in general (with hidden and open networks)?

Hidden for sure.

Open, seem to.

Reason I say that is I can connect to a restaurant WiFi and my home Wifi but not the work ones (that are open) and hidden ones.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, in case you haven't already done this, hidden networks need to be unhidden, credentials entered, and set to connect when in range.

I've heard of some port issues that prevent connecting to certain networks but off the top of my head don't recall which ones needed to be opened. Do you know what type of router each network is using? Might help troubleshoot if they're all the same brand.

OP
Bearcats

Bearcats

Reaction score
Okay, in case you haven't already done this, hidden networks need to be unhidden, credentials entered, and set to connect when in range.

I've heard of some port issues that prevent connecting to certain networks but off the top of my head don't recall which ones needed to be opened. Do you know what type of router each network is using? Might help troubleshoot if they're all the same brand.

I have executed as you described in your first paragraph to get the initial connection going. But when I hide it (disable SSID broadcast) then I no longer can see it.

I am unsure of the brand of routers at work. I will go rooting around tomorrow to see if I can find out.

Thanks for the help so far.