SSH into my Ubuntu Machine?

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm using ConnectBot to SSH intomy Ubuntu Box. It connects fine, but how do I see my desktop? I've started x11vnc once I've tunneled in, but haven't found a VNC program to see my desktop.

pUtTy forwards to 5900 on my winodws box and then I start VNC looking at localhost to connect in...

Of course this is over Wifi as Verizon blocks a majority of the ports.

Any chances someone has figured this out already?

OP
Xsoldier2000

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
There are several VNC clients in the marketplace. Search for VNC.

Yes, I've tried many, but the question is how to pull up my desktop once I've ssh'd into it?

I cann get into the box and cmd line everything...I run x11vnc from said command line, but then what? I open Remote VNC Pro...and do what? what settings do I use in conjunction with Connectbot?

sessionthree

Reaction score
Try running it without going through SSH first. On your linux box, just run the server and set up the port you want to use. On your phone, just run the client and connect using the ip and port of your server.

If you want to use it through SSH connection it's a little more involved (and I haven't done this on the phone yet.)

OP
Xsoldier2000

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
Well, I know I can't connect with just a vnc viewer from a windows box, but figured I might try it on the Droid...didn't work. Got a "xxx.xx.xx.xx Host, xxxx Port is not an RFB server."

I did manage to port forward to 5901 on Connectbot and then connected to "localhost" @ 5901 with Remote VNC Pro to achieve a "bitmap excedes VM budget"

:icon_ banana:

Getting closer, but I think this will be as close as I get due to hardware limits.

carbine

Reaction score
Well, I know I can't connect with just a vnc viewer from a windows box

VNC is platform independent. Should work regardless of what OS you use.

VNC is platform-independent – a VNC viewer on one operating system may connect to a VNC server on the same or any other operating system. There are clients and servers for many GUI-based operating systems and for Java. Multiple clients may connect to a VNC server at the same time. Popular uses for this technology include remote technical support and accessing files on one's work computer from one's home computer, or vice versa.

Source

sladekal

Reaction score
This is what I did on my Ubuntu box.

::Make sure that SSH is installed first, you will tunnel VNC so you will not have to open its ports to the world.
::Setup an SSH connection to your host/IP to port 22.
::Setup a new connection in "ConnectBot" username@domain
::You will need to tunnel (Port Forward) port 5900, in "ConnectBot" (Android App) it is a local type, source 5900, and then localhost:5900
::setup password auth on your linux box
x11vnc -storepasswd
::Enter your password.
::start x11vnc requiring a password (You can do this from ConnectBot)
x11vnc -usepw
::Connect remotely using your vnc client. (I use "Remote VNC" Android App)
Host:127.0.0.1
Port:5900
Password: Whatever you set
Name: Whatever you want

OP
Xsoldier2000

Xsoldier2000

Reaction score
I've remote controlled my Ubuntu PC from my Droid through an SSH tunnel on Verizon 3G using Connectbot and AndroidVNC following the instructions at this link.

Worked Perfectly! Albiet, slow and anytime I open a menu, AndroidVNC will close.

Well, I know I can't connect with just a vnc viewer from a windows box

VNC is platform independent. Should work regardless of what OS you use.

I understand, I guess the point I was trying to make wasn't too clear. I can not directly connect to my Ubuntu box straight from any VNC program (Linux, Windoze, Mac) because I first need to SSH in and start the server (in this case x11vnc)

What I was missing was pointing the VNC program to Address: 127.0.0.1. After doing that, I connected fine.

Thank you everyone, I hope this helps someone else looking for a new level of geekness!

\../, :motdroidvert: ,\../

water

Reaction score
I've remote controlled my Ubuntu PC from my Droid through an SSH tunnel on Verizon 3G using Connectbot and AndroidVNC following the instructions at this link.

Thanks for the link... along with this thread and everyones contributions I was able to get VNC over SSH working.

Here is another explanation (that helped me) on the subject link.

water