Sprint selling the Galaxy Nexus with 4.0.4

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
4.0.4 was apparently not being made for the Verizon Nexus is what I've heard, but obviously this could be bullsh*t.

But it feels like there is such a simple solution to this, Google just isn't willing to or simply aren't capable of putting the pressure on the carriers to keep the updates in sync.

It doesn't bother me that much because I don't actually have signal issues and whatnot with my Nexus thankfully, but I'm more worried for the future of Android devices as a whole.

We're seeing this problem snowball as more and more phones come out and android versions continue to lag behind. I mean my father asked me to help him do something on his Droid X the other day and it took me like 5 minutes to figure out where everything was because of blur/GB. I mean that's insane, I consider myself a phone nerd and yet because I use stock android(ics) constantly it takes me 5 minutes to figure out something on another android device just because it has a skin on top of it and it's still using GB. So it has an old version of Android and a manufacturer's skin on top of it, making it difficult to even figure out simple tasks when you're used to stock android or another version of android/skin.

They have to streamline the update process and get devices on the same version of Android(and get rid of skins), it's gotten completely out of control and it literally ruins the ecosystem that makes the Iphone community so connected, seamless and attractive to users. Android might hold the largest current market share, but the users are so scattered it's as if we're all using different operating systems altogether.

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. This stuff happens with phones, and it's A LOT like when verizon got the iPhone. If memory serves, vzw's iPhone had hotspot capabilities *and some other things* before AT&Ts iPhone did. Most likely a limited exclusive deal set up by verizon and Apple to make the verizon iPhone more appealing to AT&T/existing verizon customers. Eventually, AT&Ts iPhone caught up in an OS update.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint got a deal with Google or Samsung to get the Galaxy Nexus on a higher OS, and temporarily have the verizon version a little behind.

hmmm interesting point....

ShinyTop

Reaction score
Just saying that my envy of 4.04 is below nothing considering their network.

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
Just saying that my envy of 4.04 is below nothing considering their network.

i know, but that's irrelevant to this thread. sprint's network sucks-everyone knows that. we're discussing the fact that they're selling the galaxy nexus with a newer OS than us verizon owners have.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Out of curiosity what is so special about 4.0.4? Sorry, no NEXUS, so I don't keep up with a lot of the hub bub.

Reaction score
I don't understand all the whining. If you want 4.0.4, then install it. It's just that simple. We all know how Big Red operates. That's not going to change. I installed 4.0.4 awhile ago, and it's rock solid. We have devs, because we know we can't wait for (or rely on) VZW......Whining will not get anything done. Personally, I'm keeping my eye on the HTC Rezound. This is a rock solid phone now, and I'm interested in seeing how it handles ICS on May 9.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what is so special about 4.0.4? Sorry, no NEXUS, so I don't keep up with a lot of the hub bub.

Its the first "stable" build of ICS. Google acknowledged that 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 were basically beta builds and should not be looked upon as the first build(s) of ICS. I will say there are a bunch of improvements in 4.0.4 over the previous builds. The Android OS bug has been resolved, no lagging on settings menu, updated radios, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. This stuff happens with phones, and it's A LOT like when verizon got the iPhone. If memory serves, vzw's iPhone had hotspot capabilities *and some other things* before AT&Ts iPhone did. Most likely a limited exclusive deal set up by verizon and Apple to make the verizon iPhone more appealing to AT&T/existing verizon customers. Eventually, AT&Ts iPhone caught up in an OS update.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint got a deal with Google or Samsung to get the Galaxy Nexus on a higher OS, and temporarily have the verizon version a little behind.
It makes Sense 4.0

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand all the whining. If you want 4.0.4, then install it. It's just that simple. We all know how Big Red operates. That's not going to change. I installed 4.0.4 awhile ago, and it's rock solid. We have devs, because we know we can't wait for (or rely on) VZW......Whining will not get anything done. Personally, I'm keeping my eye on the HTC Rezound. This is a rock solid phone now, and I'm interested in seeing how it handles ICS on May 9.
YOU DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO,ILL WHIN IF I WANT TO!!!!!(on floor kicking and screaming,like a spoiled brat,screaming I WANT MY 4.0.4 UPDATE!!!!) :p

Last edited:
OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score

some don't root and/or want an official version of the update

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

My rezound is solid running ics.