Sprint selling the Galaxy Nexus with 4.0.4

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Looks like we'll need to jump ship to Sprint if we want to get the Google Experience.....

I'm happy with my Nexus still

captdroid

Reaction score
Looks like we'll need to jump ship to Sprint if we want to get the Google Experience.....

I'm happy with my Nexus still

If Sprint significantly improves their network... next time around I may just do that!

Screw Verizon, Samsung, Google or whoever is the fault a 'flag ship' phone not getting proper service. Loaded up AOKP... no more OTA for me those guys are asleep at the switch.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If Sprint significantly improves their network... next time around I may just do that!

Screw Verizon, Samsung, Google or whoever is the fault a 'flag ship' phone not getting proper service. Loaded up AOKP... no more OTA for me those guys are asleep at the switch.
I think I'd put the blame on Verizon for this one. It's not part of their Droid lineup so their attention to it was going to be minimal, something I did see coming. Verizon got what they wanted, pretty good sales for the Nexus because it was exclusive, I wasn't expecting much support for it tbh. Which is why I am thankful that so many developers put their time and effort into it, at least we got a community to rely on. Disappointed that Verizon has pretty much neglected the Nexus, but that's how the cookie crumbles...

captdroid

Reaction score
I think I'd put the blame on Verizon for this one. It's not part of their Droid lineup so their attention to it was going to be minimal, something I did see coming. Verizon got what they wanted, pretty good sales for the Nexus because it was exclusive, I wasn't expecting much support for it tbh. Which is why I am thankful that so many developers put their time and effort into it, at least we got a community to rely on. Disappointed that Verizon has pretty much neglected the Nexus, but that's how the cookie crumbles...

Yea I have to agree... screw Verizon! lol Only reason I am on Verizon is their network and I could get a phone that could easily be unlocked and like you said custom development. Verizon doesn't care. I like Verizon for their network and usually dislike most everything else about them. lol

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yea I have to agree... screw Verizon! lol Only reason I am on Verizon is their network and I could get a phone that could easily be unlocked and like you said custom development. Verizon doesn't care. I like Verizon for their network and usually dislike most everything else about them. lol
I've never had a bad experience with them, so I got nothing against them. What I don't understand is how they can gloat about having an exclusive, know about the problems, and then neglect the customers/problems. They don't even give an estimated release date for an update, but all they say is "a future update will address the issues". They handled the whole Nexus deal poorly, from release date til now. If you have a chance to push such a product you should take advantage of it, not what Verizon is doing.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon either didn't want the Nexus to be successful because they couldn't put bloat on it or they didn't realize what they had. Either way, they've screwed up and this proves it.

wolfman4u

Reaction score
Yip. Verizon gets beat by sprint? Looks that way on this one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well to be fair, I've heard we were always going to be getting 4.0.5 and not 4.0.4. So it's possible that it's just taken this long to finish 4.0.5, somehow I doubt it though.

The problem is the same problem we've had since the beginning of Android, the big F word.

Fragmentation

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
So they get a Nexus cheaper then what we paid for it,latest software 4.0.4,no dropped calls,no reboot issues,and none of the other issues that I didnt mention,basically a perfect Nexus.I hope your rite Liderc,cos thats the only excuse they have @ this point.

bsmith0731

Reaction score
I can confirm this.

My brother got his sprint nexus yesterday with 4.0.4

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
Well to be fair, I've heard we were always going to be getting 4.0.5 and not 4.0.4. So it's possible that it's just taken this long to finish 4.0.5, somehow I doubt it though.

The problem is the same problem we've had since the beginning of Android, the big F word.

Fragmentation

why haven't they given us 4.0.4 yet while they're working on 4.0.5??

and i do agree with you about fragmentation. too many phones with too many versions of the android OS. i mean, ICS just came out, and now "jellybean" is supposed to be out at the end of this year, meanwhile the vast majority of apps in market won't work properly (or at all) with ICS still.

google screwing up bigtime. google needs ONE android OS, and stop working on new ones rather than updating the current one. if they don't stop all this crap, i might jump ship back to iphone....

Last edited:

ShinyTop

Reaction score
I have LTE just about everywhere I travel. When do you think Sprint will catch up? Just saying ...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm not surprised. This stuff happens with phones, and it's A LOT like when verizon got the iPhone. If memory serves, vzw's iPhone had hotspot capabilities *and some other things* before AT&Ts iPhone did. Most likely a limited exclusive deal set up by verizon and Apple to make the verizon iPhone more appealing to AT&T/existing verizon customers. Eventually, AT&Ts iPhone caught up in an OS update.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint got a deal with Google or Samsung to get the Galaxy Nexus on a higher OS, and temporarily have the verizon version a little behind.