SPRecovery not workign right? WTF??

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
I'm no bigwig here, but it's easier to keep your problem in one thread. . .

Ok, you've probably all seen my issues by now, but here's a quick recap...
I was rooted several months ago, running Bugless Beast 7.4 on the ole 2.01. Now, I've decided to update to a newer 2.1 rom. I've done all the steps several times to no avail, using SPRecovey and nandroid.

What has been happening is that during the final steps, the reboot into the new rom just cycles through the M logo endlessly. If I try to restore to my saved backup, upon reboot it gets stuck on the M logo, no cycling. Here's where I have had to keep going back to the sbf again and starting over. YES, all steps have been done correctly!

Here's what I've found

I have just re ran the sbf back to stock, no root, nothing. Now I'm just starting to root again, upon entering the oem recovery console I get a message
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

What is this telling me and how can I remedy it??

Let's start here: Exactly which .sbf file are you using?

I had the same message last night and today when applied the 'root' update.zip in stock recovery but it went through just fine. I used the ESD56 .sbf file. I think your problem is with the ROM you're trying to use.

OP
madspeed

madspeed

Reaction score
This is the sbf.... VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf

I've tried several different roms

when using the sbf, doesn't it wipe out everything in the internal memory and rest back o stock? Or is there bits left that may cause something to go corrupt? Jus thinkin out loud here...

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yes. Flashing a phone using RSD Lite (or any other multi-flash/flex tool) with a .sbf file wipes everything off of it, well beyond what you can do by wiping system, data, cache, etc. It puts the raw software on your phone and even wipes out your phone number, whatever prl etc., just like straight from the factory.

What is the last working rom backup you have and which recovery did you use to back it up, CMR or SPR?

OP
madspeed

madspeed

Reaction score
I don't have any working backups...Anytime I try to go to a new ROM, I just get stuck in the boot loop. If I try to restore any backup I get stuck at the M logo.

Oh, and yes I follow all the backup steps

Also using SPR and whatever Rom I try to use this same thing happens!

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, then if you don't have any working backups, then stop trying to use them to restore to and start over. If flashing the ~ESD56~ .sbf file is working for you then here's a few steps to easily get your phone rooted again and on your way:

(Fastest) After flashing and before pressing the android on your phone, press the upper left, upper right, lower right, lower left corners of the screen. This will get you past the activation screen. On your phone, go here:

menu -> settings -> applications -> #Check the box for "unknown sources" at the top# then -> developement and check the box for "USB Debugging". Exit out by hitting the home button. (I ALWAYS do this, and leaving these settings like this hurts NOTHING).

Now download this file (dmupdater-10.apk) to your computer and put it into the android sdk\tools folder on your computer. Plug in your phone to your computer, open a command prompt, navigate to the adroid sdk\tools folder and enter this command:

adb install dmupdater-10.apk

Once it's done, unplug your phone from the computer, open the app on your phone (DM updater). It will want to update to dm updater 11, let it, then it will tell you to root your phone. Do so, follow the instructions to complete the task. They will be clearly stated on the screen of the phone. When it's done and you reboot your phone, it will be rooted and you will then have to activate it. Press the activate button, select option 1 when prompted by the call and then you may proceed from there to install whatever ROM you wish.

If there's any confusion, you can also get more info and/or do the rooting the long way as shown in my guides.

good luck

OP
madspeed

madspeed

Reaction score
I am rooted. I just can't get past the point of updating to a new 2.1 rom. I have everything working great right now, running the oem 2.01 rooted.. Have Sprecovery 99.3b, Titanium backup of all my apps, superuser works, busybox good, etc...Where my problems are at is when I create a backup of where the phone is currently, then use a nandroid of another rom, the phone freezes up. Can't use the new rom, or even the last backup. cant' really figure this one out....