Spotted Display on Droid X

brettt777

Reaction score
I dropped my Droid X and then over the next few days the display started developing these large black spots. Now there are about 5 large black spots about 1/4" to 3/8" in diameter. They make looking at media a hassle and reading texts and e-mails a chore. Is there anything that can be done to remove these spots or do I just need to replace the phone? It needs a battery also so...

mattman5000

Reaction score
The exact same thing happened when I dropped my Droid X. The spots grew at first and then started to shrink a little. I thought they might go away, but then they would grow again. I was ready to replace mine anyway (mine needed battery too). I basically just put up with it for about three months until my contract was up so I could upgrade.

I powered up that phone the other day. The spots are now way bigger than they were the last time I turned on the phone, which was about a year ago.

OP
B

brettt777

Reaction score
The exact same thing happened when I dropped my Droid X. The spots grew at first and then started to shrink a little. I thought they might go away, but then they would grow again. I was ready to replace mine anyway (mine needed battery too). I basically just put up with it for about three months until my contract was up so I could upgrade.

I powered up that phone the other day. The spots are now way bigger than they were the last time I turned on the phone, which was about a year ago.

Wow, mine also needs a battery. I have had to revert back to my old Droid 2 because between the spotted display and the battery that lasts about 5 minutes, the Droid X was about useless. I have an upgrade available but I am waiting till I can buy a new phone outright because my contract is the old unlimited data plan (much to Verizons Chagrin) and I don't want to loose that so I will buy a new phone and then have them just transfer that phone to my existing account. If I do the upgrade, the contract gets redone and I loose my unlimited data. Anyway, too bad about my Droid X. I miss that huge display. The Droid 2 seems tiny now. Did you ever check to see if a new battery is available for the X?

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
D2 batteries...

Try the Factory Outlet store online, I just bought to DX high capacity batteries from them, and they also have the BP6X cells for the D2.
I purchased two high cap. batteries for @ $23.00 shipped. I think the standard packs are even less, like $6.95 each, for the BP6X.

I just looked for my sales info, but I must have tossed it already, or I would have supplied the direct contact info.

Search: batteries.factoryoutletstore.com

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
As for the screen; does yours look as mine does, after a drop to the floor, ON the screen, of course?
DSCF0906.JPG
This is what I see after two days following the drop. The spots grew, and those annoying lines...
The actual screen is fine, and works as it should, and out of morbid curiosity, I disassembled it, and did not notice any issues with the actual LCD, but my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be, so I think I might have overlooked the problem. I think I will do this tomorrow, and with the phone apart, connect my interface cables, and run it in an open environment and have a magnifying lens to take a closer inspection of both the LCD, and digitizer and polarization. If anything new develops, I'll post images of the actual part that is defective, and order spares.

Addendum:
The way the image appears, I should rename it: The GREAT BRITAIN BLOTCH.

mattman5000

Reaction score
That is what mine looked like, except I didn't have any of the small dots. I just had the large blobs with the horizontal lines extending from and around the blobs. Kind of like the upper right portion of yours.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
The beginning of the disassembly process....More to come!
DSCF0902.JPG

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Part 2 of the saga...
Droid X replacement arrived, and I swapped back covers, battery door and a few oher minor interior parts. I may still swap out the bezel assy. but was too lazy to peel off the Kapton flex assemblies.
But, as I originally suspected, the actual screen is cracked, everything else is in good working order!
DSCF0915.JPG Screen with main board disconnected and laying on its side(do NOT forget the tiny RF cable routed around the camera body).
DSCF0916.JPG Bezel assy with digitizer and flex cabling attached (and those screws you have to remove!)
DSCF0917.JPG Full shot of frame, main board and interior of bezel (cover assy.)

A few end caps remind me of a Mattel 'Snap-Tite' model I put together as a kid.
A fresh display will return this phone to usable/resellable condition once I wipe it, reflash it to stock, and clean it!