Speech to Text - Physical Keyboard

The_Law

Reaction score
Is there a shortcut to do Speech-to-Text on the physical keyboard? There is an icon on the virtual keyboard.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Was wondering that myself. Would be nice in gtalk to be able to use the feature and still see an incoming message at the same time in landscape mode.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You mean when you got the 2.1 update your physical keyboard didn't morph into one with a little microphone on it? Mine did. :)

If you want to use speech to text, slide the physical keyboard closed. Open it again when you want to use the physical keyboard.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
You mean when you got the 2.1 update your physical keyboard didn't morph into one with a little microphone on it? Mine did. :)

If you want to use speech to text, slide the physical keyboard closed. Open it again when you want to use the physical keyboard.

Yeah but there's just one minor catch, for me anyway... when in gtalk in landscape mode, the virtual keyboard fills the whole screen so you won't see incoming IMs while you use it. Not a big deal really, but it would be nice to have a hotkey to trigger S2T with the keyboard open to avoid that.

Also, this is solved just by holding the phone vertical, since you can still see a portion of the IM window with the keyboard up.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah but there's just one minor catch, for me anyway... when in gtalk in landscape mode, the virtual keyboard fills the whole screen so you won't see incoming IMs while you use it. Not a big deal really, but it would be nice to have a hotkey to trigger S2T with the keyboard open to avoid that.

Also, this is solved just by holding the phone vertical, since you can still see a portion of the IM window with the keyboard up.

Point well taken. I'm of a generation that actually carries on conversations verbally so these critical aspects of communication using only one's thumbs frequently escape me. :)

Phreaker47

Reaction score

Point well taken. I'm of a generation that actually carries on conversations verbally so these critical aspects of communication using only one's thumbs frequently escape me. :)

I'm of that generation as well... there just happens to be one person connected to my gtalk that I happen to care about... :)