Speech To Text Bug

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a bug in the Speech To Text feature? It doesn't capitalize the first letter of the first sentence. It capitalizes first letters of subsequent sentences "after" a period, but not the very first sentence.

RH

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
Yes... I use this feature often and have noticed there are some issues. Sometimes, it doesn't even recognize I've said anything as well.

OP
RezoundHound

RezoundHound

Reaction score
I sent an email to HTC Support about this. I was very impressed. I received a response the same day. Below is the reply I received. I tried it and it works perfectly. I'm now a happy camper. :biggrin:

Dear RezoundHound,

I understand that voice to text is not capitalizing the first letter of a message. I know how handy speaking a message or note is and I will be happy to assist. This is actually the normal functionality of the Google voice to text function. What is happening is that the voice to text feature is unaware of what text may or may not already exist in a message window, so the safe default is to make the first letter lower case. If you enter voice to text and note periods in the dictation, the voice to text function knows to capitalize the program. If you are mostly using this for text messages you can try holding down the search key on your home screen and saying "Send text" or "Send email" and it should capitalize properly.

RH

JoeAndDroid

Reaction score
If this is true, why didn't my OG Motorola Droid have this problem?

I sent an email to HTC Support about this. I was very impressed. I received a response the same day. Below is the reply I received. I tried it and it works perfectly. I'm now a happy camper. :biggrin:

Dear RezoundHound,

I understand that voice to text is not capitalizing the first letter of a message. I know how handy speaking a message or note is and I will be happy to assist. This is actually the normal functionality of the Google voice to text function. What is happening is that the voice to text feature is unaware of what text may or may not already exist in a message window, so the safe default is to make the first letter lower case. If you enter voice to text and note periods in the dictation, the voice to text function knows to capitalize the program. If you are mostly using this for text messages you can try holding down the search key on your home screen and saying "Send text" or "Send email" and it should capitalize properly.

RH

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
The easy way around this is to be in your SMS app or email or whatever app and hit the mic on the keyboard.

OP
RezoundHound

RezoundHound

Reaction score
Press and "hold" the red illuminated capacitive "Search" button until the "Speak Now" pop-up window displays. Immediately say "Send text (your message)" with no pause in between. It will then capitalize the first letter of your text msg. Then, hit the "To" field, press the microphone and say the recipient's name.

It works the same way for the command "Send Email" too.

RH

Last edited:

BKApple

Reaction score
I've been searching for an answer to this small annoyance, but no luck. Nothing folks have already recommended has worked on my Razr Maxx. It's avoidable if I enter the text messaging app first, but that defeats the purpose of voice actions.

JoeAndDroid

Reaction score
Download Swiftkey from the market and you problem will be solved.

I've been searching for an answer to this small annoyance, but no luck. Nothing folks have already recommended has worked on my Razr Maxx. It's avoidable if I enter the text messaging app first, but that defeats the purpose of voice actions.