Speaker phone on but sound comes from earpiece

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Folks, I have been having a minor problem just recently where if the phone is on Speakerphone (Green light on button is lit), and in the middle of a call, without warning the sound suddenly stops coming from the speaker on the back and jumps to the earpiece on the front instead. When it does this the Green light on the button stays lit to indicate Speakerphone on, but it operates like a normal phone call with the earpiece. It seems to have happened a couple times when the person on the other end says something LOUD. This will continue to operate during the call this way if I don't then turn OFF speaker phone and then turn it ON again. If I do that then the phone works fine again.

This is something that I can't reproduce on demand, it happens sometimes and doesn't others. I don't use Speakerphone that much so I don't know if it's been a bug in the phone from the beginning but I doubt it since I've only noticed it recently. Has anyone else experienced this?

For reference, I am NOT rooted, but I AM running the un-official 6.12.173 update. This update has been a very nice improvement in many features and operation so I do expect it will roll out soon in some form but not likely .173.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
:bump: anybody?

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, so today I had an even stranger thing happen with the phone. I was on a call with my Bluetooth Jawbone Icon headset, listening and talking along, and all of a sudden I heard an echo. I had my phone sitting on the desk and when I picked it up, I heard my caller's voice coming out of the phone's earpiece WHILE ALSO coming out of my Bluetooth headset! :blink:

Now that's strange.

Anyone experiencing anything strange like this with their RAZR? :frown:

FYI, I'm not rooted, but I am running the (VERY NICE) leaked 6.12.173 version of the OS. This is the first and ONLY strange thing I have ever experienced with the phone while in a call.

debrad0307

Reaction score
Have you checked the voice privacy option? Sometimes that can make a difference. I'd turn it off to see if that corrects the issue.

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Have you checked the voice privacy option? Sometimes that can make a difference. I'd turn it off to see if that corrects the issue.

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

Well, a welcome and thoughtful suggestion. And the first from anyone. This must be totally unique to my phone. I do appreciate the suggestion and will try it immediately.

Edit; I did have it activated so I just turned it off. We'll see if the problem goes away. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have never had this issue happen to me and I always use speaker phone while on calls. I am rooted on the .748 update with some bloat removed for what it is worth. Being on the leaked update did you notice this problem before you went to that? Using stock dialer I am assuming?

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have never had this issue happen to me and I always use speaker phone while on calls. I am rooted on the .748 update with some bloat removed for what it is worth. Being on the leaked update did you notice this problem before you went to that? Using stock dialer I am assuming?

No, to answer the question the problem has only surfaced in the last week or so, but I've been running .173 for several weeks at least however I admit I don't use Speakerphone much so the problem could be older - yet I use Bluetooth more than not so that is completely new and unique.

I had yet another strange one occur today with the phone. Now, when I am using Navigation and the phone is in the Car Navigation dock, it will SOMETIMES simply stop giving voice directions. If I remove the push down USB connection, the voice comes back! If I push the plug down again, it may or may not work, but if it does work, it eventually stops again.

Damn, I am getting frustrated here. I am usually able to figure out problems but when they keep getting stranger before I've even identified the cause it makes troubleshooting even more difficult.

For the record, the problem isn't completely resolved, but I seem to have at least gotten past the Speakerphone issue, I spent a good deal of time with Verizon's tech support on the phone today and discovered something I knew how to do on the D1 & D2, but didn't know even existed on the RAZR.........................SAFE MODE!!

Yep, there's a SAFE MODE on the RAZR, and it boots into SAFE MODE with NO 3rd party apps, and you can't even download or open them from the Market! It essentially runs STOCK, but with whatever version of Android is installed. So, today we were on the call and the Speakerphone thing crapped out while I was on with Tech Support (something that NEVER happens for me - being able to recreate the problem for the technician...Murphy's law, I suppose). Well when it happened, I mentioned I wasn't interested in doing a full system hard restore, so she suggested the SAFE MODE.

Here's how it's done for those who don't know...

Power the phone down. Then power it up, and as soon as you see the RED "M" circle, press and hold BOTH Volume buttons and don't let go until you see "Safe Mode" in the bottom left of the screen!! dancedroid

Well, the Speakerphone issue isn't happening with it in Safe Mode, but the Navigation Dock voice cutting out still is. Now I'm thinking it's time to do a full system restore to .744, Root preserve and temp unroot with Voodoo Rootkeeper, and then do the OTA to .748 and then flash .173 again. Since it has worked normally for several weeks with .173 I think there is something flaky going on, so I intend to get to the bottom of it.

DonnaStucky

Reaction score
Droid Razr Blue tooth Issues

I am having this problem continually where I am on a call with by Motorola Sliver and Droid Razr and then all of a sudden the party cannot hear me. My bluetooth shows connected and I can hear the party from both the phone and bluetooth but they can only hear me through phone.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I am having this problem continually where I am on a call with by Motorola Sliver and Droid Razr and then all of a sudden the party cannot hear me. My bluetooth shows connected and I can hear the party from both the phone and bluetooth but they can only hear me through phone.

Yep, that's happened with me too. In one case, I could hear the other party on both the Bluetooth headset AND coming from the phone's speaker at the same time. They couldn't hear me from the bluetooth headset but heard me in the distance from the phone's microphone. Same as you, the phone showed Bluetooth connected.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

You know, I didn't have this problem that I am aware of before the update - and yes, stock dialer. Still, the fact that the Navigation Dock issue didn't go away in Safe Mode points to a bug. I am now completely restored from a flash to Fastboot .744, then Root, and Voodoo Rootkeeper to preserve, OTA to .748, and then OTA to .173, restored root and that's the state I am in at the moment. I did not do a Factory Reset after flashing Fastboot, so I am not "totally" stock. Maybe that's the next step. :frown:

kbrandt

Reaction score

I am having this same issue since I updated to 2.3.6. My phone is NOT rooted. I have been using two different Jawbone earpieces, an ERA and ICON and the same thing happens with both. I will be talking on the phone with the earpiece and all of a sudden the other party can't hear me. I can still hear them. If I pick up the phone and talk into it the other party can hear me and I can hear them on the phone and on the earpiece. It seems as though the earpiece microphone goes out. I have done resets on the earpices and update the firmware. I have had the Droid RAZR since November 11, 2011 with no bluetooth problems until this new update.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I am having this same issue since I updated to 2.3.6. My phone is NOT rooted. I have been using two different Jawbone earpieces, an ERA and ICON and the same thing happens with both. I will be talking on the phone with the earpiece and all of a sudden the other party can't hear me. I can still hear them. If I pick up the phone and talk into it the other party can hear me and I can hear them on the phone and on the earpiece. It seems as though the earpiece microphone goes out. I have done resets on the earpices and update the firmware. I have had the Droid RAZR since November 11, 2011 with no bluetooth problems until this new update.

OK, so it's obviously happening with you and the Jawbone ICON and ERA. I have the ICON so there's a common point. Now, DonnaStucky above had it with the Motorola Silver headset, so the only commonality between the three of us is the RAZR. Let's see how many others chime in. For me, the problem also started AFTER upgrade to 2.3.6 (6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US).

I also had since November 2011, (just a short time after you), and I am rooted, but I have also updated the firmware in my ICON.

wyld

Reaction score
I have had my Razr since Nov 21st Rooted and also have a Jawbone ICON. I've ran the leaked .173 and the official OTA .173 and now on a .173 based rom and not once have I had a bluetooth issue.

Razr-Eclipes-v1.2.1

Last edited:

eidian

Reaction score
OK, so it's obviously happening with you and the Jawbone ICON and ERA. I have the ICON so there's a common point. Now, DonnaStucky above had it with the Motorola Silver headset, so the only commonality between the three of us is the RAZR. Let's see how many others chime in. For me, the problem also started AFTER upgrade to 2.3.6 (6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US).

I also had since November 2011, (just a short time after you), and I am rooted, but I have also updated the firmware in my ICON.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

kbrandt

Reaction score

Problem solved. I contacted Jawbone support and they suggested a reset for my ERA and Icon earpieces. This did not work and I still was loosing the microphone on the earpiece when talking. The other party could only hear me when I talked directly into the RAZR. Also what was happening (since update 2.3.6) was that if I tried to use the phone speakerphone, after a minute talking with a party, the speakerphone would stop working and I would have to talk directly into the phone mike for the party to hear me. The bluetooth and speakerphone issues are the only two bugs I have experienced since the update.

Both of these problems were solved after talking with Verizon support. The tech person had me do a "Factory Data Reset". You can find this under "Privacy Settings" > "Personal Data". Keep in mind that when you do this you will loose data not saved including photos. All 3rd party apps will go, but will be updated back onto your phone from your gmail account. Unless you have done this before it would be best to have Verizon walk you through the process. After the Factory Data Reset, both of my Jawbone earpieces work and so does the RAZR's speakerphone.